Measuring Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I recently started buying hops by the pound, so now I need to buy a scale to measure out the hops. I k now using an unsanitized scale for the bittering hops and even aroma will be fine as the hops get boiled, but for flameout and dry hopping, should I sanitize the scale before placing the hops on it?

I agree, not necessary. I measure my hops, touch them with my hands, and toss them in the secondary. Never a problem.

Are you going to use a digital scale? If so, most digital scales have a tare button. You can start by using a sanitized container and place in the scale. Push the tare button and it will zero the weight of the container. Place your hops in the container according to your ounces needed.

If you are going to use a non-digital type scale then figure out how much your sanitized container weighs and subtract accordingly.

BTW what I mean by "sanitized container" is just using a clear plastic storage container that has been washed in a 10% bleach solution. But if it's already been cleaned and in your cabinets I wouldn't worry about it since the temps of the wort near flame out are sufficient to sanitize the hops. Most of all do what makes you feel comfortable.

This where your hops have been:

2113-img_1005.jpg

Alcohol and the natural properties of hops.

Yup, alcohol, PH and hops were used to preserve beer... we think of them as a "flavoring", but they have been used as a preservative for a long time. They are not a friendly place for things to grow and live.

Never thought of that. Very good question. Wonder why there is no contamination with dry hopping or secondary hops?

Hops were originally incorporated into beer for preservation. Centuries ago, brewers noticed that if they added hops the beer didn't spoil as quickly. So I think the basic preservative qualities of the hop leaves, as well as the improbablity of getting contamination with a beer that has finished active fermentation, is the main reason it's not necessary to sanitize hops.

IMO, some people need to calm down about the topic of sanitization. Sure, when it's at the wort stage, you need to make sure your equipment isn't teaming with bacteria. But man has been brewing for many centuries, yet has only known about pasteurization for less then 2 of those centuries.

Hops were originally incorporated into beer for preservation. Centuries ago, brewers noticed that if they added hops the beer didn't spoil as quickly. So I think the basic preservative qualities of the hop leaves, as well as the improbablity of getting contamination with a beer that has finished active fermentation, is the main reason it's not necessary to sanitize hops.

IMO, some people need to calm down about the topic of sanitization. Sure, when it's at the wort stage, you need to make sure your equipment isn't teaming with bacteria. But man has been brewing for many centuries, yet has only known about pasteurization for less then 2 of those centuries.

+100
This could not me more true

I agree that sanitation is sometimes over emphasized, but I suppose that's better than underemphasis. IMO, and speaking from a microbiology perspective, one of the things that helps prevent infection of wort at the beginning of fermentation is pitching an appropriate amount of yeast. If your yeasties outnumber any bad bacteria by 1,000,000:1, the bad guys are in trouble. In medicine, we would say that you need a large inoculum for infection to occur.

Back