Carlo-Rossi-Jug Yeast Starter Container?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazytwoknobs

Reaction score
Anyone know where I could get a stopper for one of those Carlo Rossi wine jugs? The big carboy ones don't fit, and all the smaller ones I have don't have holes for the airlock...

I'd like to use it as a yeast starter container, and make a stirplate out of an old PC fan and hard drive magnets. Should I worry about light getting in the starter? Is that an issue at all?

They have them at the LHBS and online. You need a #6 size! I use alot of those for my wine making. I don't drink the Carlo Rossi. :D

Also, pick up a few that fit regular wine bottles. I don't think there's a number on them, but they are pretty small and you'll see which ones I mean. Those are great if you have just a little bit left over and then you can put the extra in there with an airlock and use it for topping up or having wort to step up the starter.

Ok, I do drink the Carlo Rossi. But I don't always admit it.

fwiw, in a pinch you can "resize" a rubber stopper with a sander, bench grinder, ect.

I use a 3 liter soda bottle for my starters.

Thanks guys! You rock.

Yeah, I can't make it out to my LHBS very often (no power steering and it's real far away) but I'll look extra hard for them when I do get there.

You don't need an airlock for yeast starters. Just use sanitized foil as it will allow the uptake of O2 while the yeast are growing.

Back