Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We're kegging our first beer for a beer festival, we're borrowing a keg from another member, but I'm reading after we siphon the beer into the keg we have to add co2, we don't have a co2 tank or a hook up. Is it really necessary or can we skip that part? If it is necessary then I'll just ask another member if we can use their equipment to add the co2.

Thanks and cheers:mug:

U have to have the tank and a regulator. U first have to put enough pressure in the tank, around 30 psi to carb the beer. Then u will use the tank again to keep a co2 blanket to push the beer down

I always flood the keg with CO2 before adding the beer. (It prevents oxidation).
If you want to force carbonate (which gives the clearest beer), you will then need to hook up a CO2 tank to provide the necessary pressure, and keep the CO2 connected until the beer is carbonated. However, you can prime the keg with some priming sugar. This takes longer than force carbonating, and generates extra sediment in the bottom of the keg, resulting in a less clear beer. You will also need CO2 to dispense the beer, but this can be done fairly cheaply using CO2 cartridges and a picnic tap.

Send me a PM if you cannot borrow what you need. I live in Ridge. If you have a ball lock keg, I can probably help you out, but I cannot lend you a CO2 tank for more than about a week because I might run out of beer.:eek:

-a.

Back