First time freezing yeast...is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clifton

Reaction score
I added my WL vial to a .75 L starter and let it go two days on my stirplate. I put it in the fridge to cold crash. After about a week it settled pretty well. I took it out of the fridge to prepare for freezing. In the five minutes it took to sanitize my vials and get ready my yeast cake started acting up. I'm not too computer savy so I'll do my best at posting a picture. What's the deal with my yeast? BTW it was WL 1028. Thanks.

img0854rv.jpg

CO2 is being released and the yeast is moving around. Cold crash it again and decant most of the beer above it before preparing everything.

Funkswing - Freezing yeast is a great way to have plenty of varieties on hand for longer than they would stay viable in the fridge.

I figured he was starting a yeast bank, but he didn't say. Freezing yeast wouldn't be the craziest mistake I've read a brewer make on this forum before......

Approx. how much yeast does one save when freezing? Is it a few mL or 500 mL or more?

That is a great link, it's the site I worked from in creating my frozen yeast bank.

Clifton - thanks for that link. I did check it out and the link that is on that page too.

So, when making a starter for your beer, approx. how many yeast cells / mL is there? Is it basically the same as making a starter for a Wyeast propagator smack-pack (as in a 1000mL starter for an ale, give it 24-48 hours)?

I've read that a lot of guys are using 15ml vials about half full of yeast. They step up the yeast over two or three starters. I have 50ml vials (roughly the size of the White Labs vials). I am planning on waking these up with a two cup size starter. The reason most use the 15ml size is that they freeze and stay frozen better. Something about molecular makeup of the yeast and the speed at which the vials are frozen and thawed dictates that the smaller size vials are better for viability. I already had the bigger vials and have heard that other guys have had success with them. On a side note I just pitched a Witbier slurry that I used to brew LAST September (the fermenter smells great and the sample tasted fine). So.....yeast are hardy, even if abused.

Was your Witbier slurry from frozen yeast or just a regular slurry stored in the fridge?

I collect yeast cakes now, store them in the fridge, and re-pitch them a few times. If I happen to store the yeast for a while (>3-4 weeks) I will make a small starter (1000mL) right before I start brewing to wake the yeast back up.

If you make the starter for the slurry the night before, it will more than likely blow-over the Erlenmeyer flask (I use a 2000mL and it has still happened), which results in a contamination fo sho. So, I just do it like 4-8 hours before I'm gonna pitch.

I really can't see myself washing the yeast 2-3 times after kegging/racking to the secondary. AND then having to do a multi-step starter ea. time I want to use the yeast.

The process just doesn't seem worth it when brewing in a rotation I can just keep the yeast in the fridge AND not even do a starter to pitch for ales.

Fridge
I only wash the yeast once and I'm freezing in larger vials so my starter will be just to wake the guys up. I'll try to post back here once I use one.

When I get a smack pack, I freeze straight from the pack (no starter). I put 5ml into each tube (10 of them), add my water/glycerin, then freeze.

I take the remaining yeast from the pack (I think theres a little more than 100ml) and make a starter for a beer that I'm brewing next.

When I get a smack pack, I freeze straight from the pack (no starter). I put 5ml into each tube (10 of them), add my water/glycerin, then freeze.

I take the remaining yeast from the pack (I think theres a little more than 100ml) and make a starter for a beer that I'm brewing next.

Do you smack the pack before or after harvesting the yeast for the freezer? Thank you.

passedpawn - another great way of doing things. Multiply your fresh yeast. Do you have to do 2-3 step starters with that?

Do you smack the pack before or after harvesting the yeast for the freezer? Thank you.

Yes. I think it is unnecessary, and may even be slightly detrimental, but I really really like to know that the yeast is viable. If it doesn't fully swell within 24 hrs, I'm not adding it to my yeast bank (but I still toss it into a starter and use it). Older packs (i.e., > 3 months) can be slow to swell.

Do you have to do 2-3 step starters with that?

Yes. Here's how I step them up:

• Start with about 250ml starter (in a 1000ml flask). 2-3 days to bloom.
  • Step up to 2L in my 4000ml flask. 1 day to bloom.
  • Then 4L. 1 day to bloom.
  • If I'm doing a 10g batch, I decant and go straight to another 4L starter.
  • If 5g, just decant and pitch.
I use a stir plate.

4L is pretty big for a 5g batch, isn't it? Is that lager yeast?

Funkswing,
I finally pulled one of my WLP002 from the freezer to use on a brown ale. I did a double extract batch and used WY1056 on the other 5g batch. Both the 1056 and 002 were 500ml starters that took turns on my stir plate over the course of 24-36hrs. I chilled them in the fridge while I brewed and pitched at about 2pm 12/4/2010. I had action by 7am the next morning. I'll let you know how it tastes.

Passedpawn,
My vials have about 20ml of yeast. Don't you get about a 4 fold increase with a stir plate? From 5ml to 20ml then to 80ml for a 5g? In other words for 5 gallons of ale couldn't you just do two steps? TIA

Back