Know what I like about homebrewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
It's something I can be pretty good at. My other "hobby" for years has been photography. The problem with it to me is that, no matter how interested in it I am, no matter how much I learn about photography, no matter how much I practice, and regardless of how much money I spend on equipment, I am never going to be Ansel Adams. Or anything close to even good, for that matter. My wife, who has no interest in it, other than to take an occasional snapshot, picks up my camera as though it is something that fell to earth from outer space and takes pictures that are as good as or better than mine.

Now homebrewing is different. To my immense surprise and pleasure, my very first batch tasted good. After reading this forum for awhile, it appears that is an experience which is not at all uncommon.

The people here and at my homebrewing supply stores are all very nice, and, best of all, I get to drink the results!

It's not about who has the most or fanciest equipment or who won the most prizes at contests, but it is about brewing and enjoying good beer and good company.

I think I've found something I will really enjoy for years to come.

And now I am going home to pop open a cold one... (or two even :))

And you can brew something nobody would buy ... but they'll drink it if it's free! My goal is the perfect Brown ale, the the guys at Pelican won't give the recipe!

Part of what I like about this hobby (almost a lifestyle for some), is that gov.org is pretty much left out of the picture, by not getting to collect "sin" taxes on our efforts.

I guess I had better not speak too loudly, or they will think of a way of taxing malted barley, etc.... lol

In addition to all the good reasons listed above, homebrewing is a great hobby because it's just plain cool to make your own beer. :cool: I've seen envy in a lot of eyes of people who have just had their first sip of homebrew a la AHU . . .

AHU

AllHoppedUp said:
In addition to all the good reasons listed above, homebrewing is a great hobby because it's just plain cool to make your own beer. :cool: I've seen envy in a lot of eyes of people who have just had their first sip of homebrew a la AHU . . .

AHU

That is what it is all about for me. I find it absolutely fascinating that I can take 4 simple ingredients and make an alcoholic wonder.

I think since I've been homebrewing I have an over the top fascination for beer now. I loved it before, I'm amazed now. I'm astonished at what is out there--as well as what comes out of my fermenters.

I still have problems with some of my friends trying and liking my beer though. So many people are such hard core BMC drinkers that they don't have an open enough mind to try something new. I do give them props for trying it--but you always have that retard who won't touch dark beer cause "its bitter!"....if the moron only knew.....

Lounge Lizard said:
I guess I had better not speak too loudly, or they will think of a way of taxing malted barley, etc.... lol
Yeah, I bet the TABC has that in their sights as well. I couldn't belive the latest here..TABC has undercover agents. Who are these people and who gave them all that power?

i like watching my BMC friends get totaly sh*t faced of 2-3 homebrews. it kick's their ass! it's a riot to hear 'em talk about it the next time we get together.....

way coolest hobby i know of!

Each brew session is always going to be my best. I like anticipating the end result and I'm always hopeful that this is the big one! Yeah, this is going to be awesome. It doesn't always turn out that way but I'm like a prospecter looking for gold. I don't always turn up paydirt but anticipating that I will keeps me digiin.

Sudster said:
Yeah, I bet the TABC has that in their sights as well. I couldn't belive the latest here..TABC has undercover agents. Who are these people and who gave them all that power?

The TABC has been bothering people since at least the 70s. Yes, I'm old enough to know. lol I was right in the middle of the disco/bar scene during the latter half of the decade. It wasn't too bad back then, actually. Free love carried over from the 60s and nobody had ever heard of AIDS. Grass was ten dollars an ounce. Of course I would never touch the stuff. Not me... lol

Didn't the TABC nab a Bush not too long ago down in Austin?

Lounge Lizard said:
The TABC has been bothering people since at least the 70s. Yes, I'm old enough to know. lol I was right in the middle of the disco/bar scene during the latter half of the decade. It wasn't too bad back then, actually. Free love carried over from the 60s and nobody had ever heard of AIDS. Grass was ten dollars an ounce. Of course I would never touch the stuff. Not me... lol

Didn't the TABC nab a Bush not too long ago down in Austin?
Yep, got his daughter.

Back