Vienna Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blefferd

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this, I made this up it with some research on Vienna Lagers and the help of iBrewmaster app on my iPhone.

I brewed it this weekend using a triple decoction but, I think the next time will be a double decoction or just a single infusion due to the amount of time it took to do the triple. Its a 5 Gallon Batch.

MALT:
9lbs Briess Vienna Malt
2.5lbs Munich Malt (I used the darker version didnt know they had a light and dark one)
.5lbs Cara 60L

HOPS:
1oz Tettnang 3.90AA at 60min
1oz Tettnang 3.90AA at 25 mins
(I wanted to use .75 oz Tettnang at 30 Mins but lack a scale to to measure the 1 oz packs out lol)

YEAST:
1 White Labs German Lager WLP830, used a small starter, made 2 days prior to brew day.

MASH:
I did a triple decoction mash which took up a huge amount of time and I will probably stay away from them from now on, going with a single or double in the future.

Next batch I brew I see no problem in a single infusion with batch sparge. From what I have read on here and other places there is no change in the end product.

Boil was a traditional 90min boil for this style of beer.

I plan on fermenting for a minimum of two weeks at around 48*F (warm as I can get my spare fridge for now), with a diacetly rest at room temp for a couple days, then lager for about 30 days @ around 30-33*F. Force carb in Keg, with a 12pack in bottles. ( I am really playing it fast and loose here and seeing how it all shakes out so this part is not set in stone yet lol)

This is technically my second Lager, first lager with actual constant temp control, and First recipe I actually designed my self to be within the BJCP guidelines. Its pretty spot on with guidelines aside from OG and ABV, I figured I would loose a couple points some place in the brew process but I hit all my numbers spot on at 70% eff. (not bad for second AG batch since getting back into it)

I left water numbers out, because they seem to never be accurate for me when I use some one elses numbers, but I did start out with around 8 gallons of hard Florida water, diluted with some distilled water. and I think about 7 in the boil kettle at the start of boil.

Let me know what you guys think of it.:mug:

I've made two Vienna Lagers, so clearly I'm a world-class expert on this topic. I'll comment on a few parts of your recipe.

The first one was a mix of Vienna and Munich, the second was 100% Vienna. I thought the pure Vienna was better, but you and I may have different tastes. By "better" I mean more of that toasty / malty flavor, which I really enjoy.

I did a 60 minute boil on both of them. Is there something I could read about 90 minutes being more traditional? This seems to be a widely ignored style of beer, so I've had trouble researching it.

I did a single infusion / batch sparge. I think it was at 155*, but I don't have my brew log in front of me.

I'd be curious to see a comparison of your bottle-conditioned brews vs your force-carbed kegged brews. Lagers are the reason I started kegging. No matter how carefully I poured, I could alway taste too much yeast in my bottle-conditioned lagers. I never had that problem with ales.

Back