what to do w/ the bottom of the barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robdogj

Reaction score
I have just finished bottling a Pils. I have made many brews before, but this time seems to be the first that I had so much residue leftover from a 5 gallon batch. I have about a quart of residue. This batch seems to be like Heaven's Nectar & I don't want to toss it, but it looks like Chocolate milk ;) I just want to read what you other people do in situations like this. Donate to the Porcelain God?

If its from your primary you can harvest the yeast and use it on your next batch.

If you don't want to harvest the yeast, or don't plan on brewing with that style of yeast in the near future, I'd compost that trub. No need to waste it completely.

Toilet dump, it'll taste awful. You could harvest some yeast but unless you're using a very expensive yeast it's not worth the trouble (in my oh so humble opinion). The Brits use it to make Marmite, but that's probably not helpful to you.

Back