Grain bits in brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pym99

Reaction score
Why do I ALWAYS get grain bits in my brew kettle? I recirculate very carefully to get clear-running wort (using a pitcher that I pour into a funnel connected to my sparge assembly). It doesn't disturb the grain bed. I usually do at least 6 pints or so, until the wort runs clear. But then I look in my kettle a bit later, and there's tons of grain bits floating around!

I'm using the false bottom from N. Brewer in a 10 Gallon Rubbermaid cooler.

What am I doing wrong, or is there no way to keep those grain bits out of the brew kettle?

It's pretty difficult to keep all the grain bits out. They will settle out into the trub fairly quickly because of their weight (relative to the wort) so it's not a problem.

Your crush must be making bits smaller than the holes in your false bottom.

I use a stainless braid and sparge 18.5 gallon and don't get any grain bits.

The holes must be about 3/32. It's not snug to the sides, but it couldn't be much bigger. It covers the bottom except for about 1/4-1/2 inch or so all around.

I have no idea how large my crush is, whatever the default setting on the Barley Crusher is. I could try making it mill a bit coarser though, that might do it.

My latest trick, use a voile curtain from Target and line my MLT. Makes clean-up a snap and no grain bits in my BK. Also lets you stir as much as you want and not worry about the grain bed.

I used to have the same problem. Started using a grant. I use steam for step mashes (or just for mashout) so I have to stir right at the end of the mash for the mashout. This obviously disturbs the grain bed so I have to recirculate for at least 15 minutes to get it running clear. Then during sparging, after about 3-4 gallons get into the kettle, grain bits start flowing out again. I stop pumping to the kettle and recirculate again for about 5 minutes to get it running clear. No bits make it to the kettle.

I use a RIMS type system, but the way the plumbing is configured, even though the wort is crystal clear through the bed, the initial drain into the kettle always has some small amount of grain. The solution is a small muslin bag zip tied over the end of the hose. This solved all the problems that I had. Depending on the amount of grain your are getting in the kettle, make sure that the bag is large enough to keep from getting clogged. When I empty the bag after the sparge is over, there is about a tablespoon of grain in it, so the bag itself doesn't need to be very big at all. But regardless, filtering the outlet is easy and effective and muslin bags are pretty cheap.

Prosit!

I use my hop sack to filter the pieces out before the boil. I then clean it out and then use it for the hops. Just recently made one of them four legged hop sack holders; works great!

Back