BMC Flowchart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The chart is amusing. I could have stopped at Utopias, but I only paid 180 for mine (haha, I said ONLY, good lord!) I like most of the chart, but I don't want to stop at ****ty summer choices. I want good beer in the summer, too!

Oh, and PBR is totally hipster beer. If you don't agree you're either out of the loop or you're a hipster. Not that there's anything wrong with PBR, I'm just saying the **** is hip as balls right now.

Oh, and PBR is totally hipster beer. If you don't agree you're either out of the loop or you're a hipster. Not that there's anything wrong with PBR, I'm just saying the **** is hip as balls right now.

Well, I don't agree, and I live in Portland. I drink it 'cause it's delicious water, and it is handy when I don't have any homebrew on tap. Of course I've solved the latter problem by building my brew pipeline, but I still have a mini-fridge filled with PBR because it's inexpensive and easy to drink. As an added bonus, my friends will drink it if they're not into whatever hand-crafted brew I have on tap.

Well, I don't agree, and I live in Portland. I drink it 'cause it's delicious water, and it is handy when I don't have any homebrew on tap. Of course I've solved the latter problem by building my brew pipeline, but I still have a mini-fridge filled with PBR because it's inexpensive and easy to drink. As an added bonus, my friends will drink it if they're not into whatever hand-crafted brew I have on tap.

Then I guess you are a hippster and you were just ahead of the curve!! :mug:

Ladybrewer: PBR is Pabst Blue Ribbon. Geez; I'm going to have to buy some and try it again. I'm 50 and I don't think I've had it since I was underage.

BK: I noticed you have a couple of Pennsylvania beers on your table. Stoudts American Pale Ale is good stuff!

Plus it looks good with your skinny puppy t-shirt, amiright?

I can't imagine living in Portland, f'n beervana surrounded by hop farms, and drinking PBR.

Plus it looks good with your skinny puppy t-shirt, amiright?

My friend flipped out on an "ironic" hipster who was wearing a Tesla shirt. He started screaming at him, "name one f*#king Tesla song!!!!" over and over again. I actually had to pull him away from the dude. Funny stuff.

Thanks for the links, carnevoodoo. Pretty funny stuff. I stand by my assertion that drinking PBR doesn't make one a hipster. Hell, before switching to PBR, I drank Heidelberg (this is well before my homebrewing days). "Dancing with Heidi", we called it. Then Pabst bought Henry Weinhard's, and killed the Heidelberg brand. So we switched to PBR. No hipsterism involved.

And as far as I can tell, they don't make Skinny Puppy shirts in my size, so I'll have to forgo acceding to that accusation. I do, however, have a photo that Ray Daniels took of me and Fred Eckhardt, the beer writer, at the Green Dragon, a PDX pub. Neither of us were enjoying a PBR that night - I was having a New Belgium/Elysian Trippel IPA in this pic:

me-and-fred.JPG

No, no... Drinking PBR just makes you have questionable taste (me included!). The assertion that I made was that PBR is a hipster beer, and it absolutely is. I am quite aware that there are people who ride fixed gear bikes also do so for sport and are not as *****y as the current trends suggest, but it happens.

Hey khiddy how's The Green Dragon? I've been wanting to try it out but haven't found any reviews that made it sound appealing.

So I read the first 2 pages then skimmed to here. This thread was headed down but seems to have straightened out. Don't know why but with all the discussion at the beginning of how (all) choices are made based on coolness, I thought of a book. Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankel. Pretty heavy book, and one of the most important books of the 20th century. Anyway much of it centers around how people make decisions and process information. This is from the perspective of a Nazi Concentration Camp survivor. (sorry to bring the room down)

Before and after reading the book I've found it interesting how people make decisions. Most don't give it much thought and go with the flow or follow friends. If current pop star hottie lady gaga wore an different colored jump suits at red carpet events and on stage, they'd start showing up in the wardrobes of 'hip' women. Shallow people do shallow things, but we are all influenced by our environment.

Schlante,
Phillip

Hey khiddy how's The Green Dragon? I've been wanting to try it out but haven't found any reviews that made it sound appealing.

It's definitely a bar for the beer fanatic. There's no BMC on tap, and they have over 50 taps. Interestingly, even though they're owned by Rogue now, they usually only have one or two Rogue brews on tap, and they seem to have a "Meet the Brewer" night every few weeks with people from Widmer and Deschutes and Full Sail (just in the last month), so they're definitely keeping it independent from the rest of the Rogue pubs (which is nice, methinks). They're working with the Oregon Brew Crew to release an on-site-brewed beer from their 1BBL system usually every 3 weeks, and those beers have been interesting.

The other commercial beers that they pour on tap are not just Oregon-based, they bring in some farther-away names like New Belgium and Elysian and some smaller craft breweries in Idaho, Montana, and NorCal. I think they even had the limited-release Life & Limb/Limb & Life collaborations from Sierra Nevada/Dogfish Head on tap (of course we were also able to get those in town at the Horse Brass, too).

The food is pretty good, as well. I particularly recommend the Beef Brisket Shepherd's Pie. Service is dog-slow, though, so don't expect to get out of there in a hurry. The ambience is pretty low, though each time I've been there it's been with some fellow brewers, so we're usually talkin' beer, not looking at the walls.

So I read the first 2 pages then skimmed to here. This thread was headed down but seems to have straightened out. Don't know why but with all the discussion at the beginning of how (all) choices are made based on coolness, I thought of a book. Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankel. Pretty heavy book, and one of the most important books of the 20th century. Anyway much of it centers around how people make decisions and process information. This is from the perspective of a Nazi Concentration Camp survivor. (sorry to bring the room down)

Before and after reading the book I've found it interesting how people make decisions. Most don't give it much thought and go with the flow or follow friends. If current pop star hottie lady gaga wore an different colored jump suits at red carpet events and on stage, they'd start showing up in the wardrobes of 'hip' women. Shallow people do shallow things, but we are all influenced by our environment.

Schlante,
Phillip

This is very true and interesting, I will have to look that book up. Only thing I disagree with is that is Lady Gaga did something her fashion decisions would likely show up in the closets of "hip" transexuals and drag queens not "hip" women. :D

I'm just saying the **** is hip as balls right now.

i love everything about this sentence.

All I'm saying is.....my grandpa worked at PBR. True story. he retired before they royally screwed all the employees, tho. Still drinks it (well, Jacobs Best Light)

I did get to go on the tour when I was about 10 or so. I don't remember much. I drive by the brewery every day on the way to work :)

skinny puppy!? Wow, you just dated yourself right there.

Well the point is that people still wear them in PDX, but on a website limited to those 21 and over, how much information am I providing about my age by indicating I am aware of a band that reached the height of its popularity in the early 90s?

I got stuck at Labatt's and Molson also...damn love of hockey!

"F#!k that Heineken ****! Pabst Blue Ribbon!"
Blue Velvet

I guess I still don't know why hipsters are ******? That is my hang up. Usually they are a hell of a lot of fun and have interesting things to say. Better than a lot of people IMO. If old dudes in Wrangler 501's who like to beat women are your thing, fine... just an odd observation on the hipster hating.

I guess I still don't know why hipsters are ******? That is my hang up. Usually they are a hell of a lot of fun and have interesting things to say. Better than a lot of people IMO. If old dudes in Wrangler 501's who like to beat women are your thing, fine... just an odd observation on the hipster hating.

It is like any subset of a population. Some are fine. Lots though, are vapid and boring. This could be said about hipsters, homebrewers, my family... Anyone.

Edit: I guess it is just that hipsters tend to seek attention, and they get it.

In my opinion Schlitz is the the best bang for the buck when it comes to cheaper beer, too bad it wasn't on the chart. Still not sure what a hipster is but if I ever see one I'll be sure to push them off their bike!:rockin:

Still not sure what a hipster is but if I ever see one I'll be sure to push them off their bike!:rockin:

Well, if you ever come to Buffalo in the summer time, go to Elmwood Ave. The hipsters are the ones riding the beach cruisers and wearing Jackie O sunglasses. You could have a field day.

TV show and Movie about a gateway/wormhole system that allowed ancient aliens to travel through the universe. Theres like 5 different stargate shows and the movie had Kurt Russel in it.

Well the point is that people still wear them in PDX, but on a website limited to those 21 and over, how much information am I providing about my age by indicating I am aware of a band that reached the height of its popularity in the early 90s?

I'm cringing to say this......but I was in 2nd grade in 1993 and I've been legal to drink for 5 years on Dec. 24th. ( I had NO idea what skinny puppy meant!)
:eek:

PBR classification on the chart: hilarious, often true.
Hipster hating: tight wranglers or tight girl jeans, do we really need to go there?

Olive branch........we all love homebrew! That's what brings us together, right?

I'm cringing to say this......but I was in 2nd grade in 1993 and I've been legal to drink for 5 years on Dec. 24th. ( I had NO idea what skinny puppy meant!)
:eek:

Thank you! I too have no idea what skinny puppy is? I have been legal to drink for 4 years.

I made it to the bottom, and they have Alaskan Amber down there?

Most overrated beer of all time. I mean it's good at it's price point, but it doesn't belong with Stone or Dog Fish Head.

wheres the fargate? and that block diagram says if i live in the getto, i need to drink malt liqour? wth.

Funny thing in college my townhouse what next door to my best friends. We kicked out a few board that separate out decks (they were loose already...). Anyway this passage became known as the FARGATE!!!!

Back