Oxygen Absorption crown shelf life?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bottled my 1st meads (Vanilla New Year and Apricot New Year) tonight. I know, I KNOW, wrong forum but bear with me a sec.

So, I am pulling out my crowns in preparation for bottling ( I keep them in glass jars IDW, convenient I guess) and sorting out the "Oxygen Absorbing" crowns (considering that these will be in bottle mebe' a year before slurping down) and it re-occured to me that I have no idea what keeps the OA crowns "fresh".

That is, what keeps the "Oxygen Absorption" bits of the crown from getting spent in storage? :confused:

BTW, sampling the "extra" bits of mead that don't fill the bottles and they are a little hot but, very tastey. :cross:

2 years I have been brewing and it never occured to me that they are moisture activated. Dang. Ignorance is bliss.

It's a good thing I went to kegging early on. I suspect I have a handful or two of spent O2 caps. When I bottled I would toss handfuls of the caps into sanitizer and pluck them out 1 by 1 as I capped. Extra's got towel dried and tossed back into the supply.

Doh! :drunk:

I think the moisture just from the beer is probably sufficient to activate it. I wonder though if really high humidity can ruin them? I am guessing probably, I need to put a desiccant pack in with them stat.

I'm not convinced they make much difference in unfiltered beer. In theory, the yeast should take up oxygen in the head space; whether this occurs before or after the beer gets damaged is up for debate.

oops....usually i do the same and pluck them from the starsan......the ones i dont use i just dry off for next time....so your saying there dead at that point?

Back