Need help....fixing a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainL

Reaction score
A little help to see if I am doing this right. THanks.

I used Tasty brew.com to calculate my blue moon extract that I found on here. It came out to an IBU = 36???? Which seamed a little high for Blue moon clone.

.5 oz hallertaur @60
.5 oz hallertaur @ 45
.5 oz cascade @30
.5 oz cascade @ 5

Hall AA = 4.7
Cascade AA = 7.0

Seaming how the AA vary I adjusted it to this to get an IBU around 20

.3 oz hall @60
.3 oz hal@30
.5 oz cascade @ 15
.5 oz cascade @ 5

Should i not adjust like this....or is it ok???

I plan to brew it tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks for the help.

It's fine to do it that way. I looked up the IBU for Blue Moon and it's supposed to be 17. I might even add the cascade a little later like at 10 mins. YOu could also move the first addition of Hallertau back a few minutes so it only boils for 50 minutes or so. Just a thought...

Thats what I was thinking. Of course I just did a different calculator that comes in a little lower. I guess this is a common problem with free calculator being a little off. I think I like that idea of moving the cascade to 10 min and only doing a 50 minute boil. Thanks.

You won't really get any flavor from your hops at 30 or 45 min, but will at 20 min and shorter. I'd drop the 30 min addition and recalculate your IBUs. Blue moon isn't a hop forward beer so go easy on the flavor adds. You should derive most of your IBUs from your 60 min addition, then throw in a 5 or 10 min addition for the flavor you want.

Back