My 10 gal. Hop Slam clone - whaddya think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johntangus

Reaction score
OK, so I found this recipe online for a Hop Slam clone and essentially doubled it to make 10 gallons. I don't have any software to plug it into - I jkust want to see if you folks think this will be close. thanks

All Grain Recipe - Bells Hopslam ::: 1.089/1.020 (10 Gal)

Grain Bill (75% Efficiency assumed)
26 lbs. - Maris Otter Malt

4 lb. - Munich Malt

2 lb. - Aromatic Malt

1 lb. - CaraPils

8 lbs. - Honey (end of boil)

Hop Schedule (93 IBU)
4 oz. - Simcoe [13%] (75 min.)

2 oz. - Glacier [5.6%] (60 min.)

3 oz. - Centennial [10%] (20 min.)

2 oz. - Glacier [5.6%] (15 min.)

2 oz. - Vanguard [5.5%](10 min.)

2 oz. - Crystal [3.5%] (1 min.)

2 oz. - Hallertau [4%] (1 min.)

4 oz. - Simcoe (Dry Hop in Secondary 1 week)

Yeast
1.3L starter of WLP001 or WY1056 IF you have a stirplate.
If you do not have a striplate, make a pale ale or something below 1.050 
with WLP001 or 1056 and use 200 ml of that yeast for this beer.
If you choose Safale S-05 use 2 properly hydrated packs.

Mash/Sparge/Boil
Mash at 150° to 152° for 75 min.
Sparge as usual

Cool and ferment at 68°

That hopbill just doesn't look like it could possibly be right. It's loaded with American hops that come from Hallertau lineage (Glacier, Vanguard, and Crystal). That just isn't something I get from Hopslam at all.

I would guess that Hopslam has a lot of the usual hop suspects for a double IPA -- Simcoe, Centennial, Amarillo, Cascade, Columbus but not many hops that are unusual for an IPA.

The yeast pitching rate doesn't seem right. No way a 1.3L stir-plated starter is right for 10 gal @ 1.089 (seems way low even for a 5 gal batch). Even two packs of dry seems low, that sounds about right for a 5 gal batch. Maybe a typo?

EDIT: you could just tell the brewer to target ~600 billion cells for a 10 gal batch and let them figure out how to get there. I just checked and two packs of dry is actually not really that short (calculator says 2.6 11g packets).

Seems like an awful lot of honey, but I've never had Hopslam.:(

whoops, yeah i forgot to adjust the yeast part of the recipe to 10 gallons. So, disregard the that part of the recipe.

OK, I gotta bump this. I'm rethinking this recipe after doing even more research.

I'm ditching the rest of the specialty grains besides the 2-row and using 2 pounds of crystal 40 instead.

Also - cutting the honey in half.

And - using Amarillo and Simcoe and maybe Centennial. (Centennial for bittering and A&S for aroma/flavoring)

Will be dry-hopping with Amarillo and Simcoe mixed. I recently heard Jamil saying not to dry-hop with Simcoe alone.

Will be using 2 packs of US-05

what do YOU think?

So, here's the revised recipe:

26 lbs. Briess 2-row
2 lbs. Caramel 40
4 lbs. Orange Blossom Honey

4 oz. Centennial at 60 mins.
1 oz. Amarillo at 45 mins.
1 oz. Simcoe at 45 mins.
1 oz. Amarillo at 30 mins.
1 oz. Simcoe at 30 mins.
1 oz. Amarillo at 15 mins.
1 oz. Simcoe at 15 mins.
1 oz. Amarillo at 5 mins.
1 oz. Simcoe at 5 mins.
1 oz. Amarillo at 0 mins.
1 oz. Simcoe at 0 mins.

2 oz. Amarillo - dry hop (10 days)
2 oz. Simcoe - dry hop (10 days)

2 packs of Safale 05 rehydrated.

OK, I gotta bump this. I'm rethinking this recipe after doing even more research.

I'm ditching the rest of the specialty grains besides the 2-row and using 2 pounds of crystal 40 instead.

Also - cutting the honey in half.

And - using Amarillo and Simcoe and maybe Centennial. (Centennial for bittering and A&S for aroma/flavoring)

Will be dry-hopping with Amarillo and Simcoe mixed. I recently heard Jamil saying not to dry-hop with Simcoe alone.

Will be using 2 packs of US-05

what do YOU think?
Just my opinion but if it were my brew I'm fairly certain I wouldn't bitter with Centennial if I had Simcoe on-hand. Never used Amarillo but imo Simcoe is a much better bittering hop than Centennial. Centennial is awesome for flavor/aroma/dry-hopping though.

OK, just a follow-up. This beer has now been in the bottle for about 2 weeks. We have sampled 3 beers and it was really hard not to drink the rest.

Only changes from the recipe above was 4 pounds of Caramel 40 instead of 2 and 6 pounds of regular honey instead of 4 of Orange Blossom.

I'm sure the mouthfeel will change once it hits peak carbonation, but this stuff is GOOD! The hop profile is EXTREMELY similar to Hopslam. I can't taste the honey yet, but there is no alcohol hotness and it measured about 9%ABV (i screwed up the FG by taking the hydro reading after i put my priming sugar in).

Anyway, this beer RULES. No crazy, million different hops. Just two and a really simple grain bill. Brew it yo-seff and taste the deliciousness.

Sounds cool. I'm in the process of moving into a new house, so it will be a couple of weeks before I'm organized (and rich enough) to ship some beer. Plus, it does need a couple more weeks in the bottle to carbonate. i'll PM you when it's ready to go.

Back