Question about First Wort Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacksonbrown

Reaction score
I've read the articles, but have a couple last question that I couldn't seem to find answers to.
From what I could gather, FWH is a substitute for aroma steeping. I know to leave the hops in during first running, but do they stay in for sparging as well?
Do you discard the hops after collecting your wort, or do they stay in for the boil?
Lastly, when entering a FWH into BeerSmith, I know there's a drop down for it, but how much time does one list?
Thanks guys!

The hops stay in for the whole boil.

Don't know about BeerSmith, but ProMash has a selection in the hop timing dropdown box called "FWH". It's listed as next longer boil time above 60 min, but gives IBUs similar to a 45-min addition

FWH is not to replace aroma hops. FWH if anything replaces your 60 minute addition.

This is incorrect. FWH is where you take a portion of your finishing hops (not the bittering hops) and add them to the kettle with the first runnings. I know several brewers on HBT like to do it with their bittering hops - what ever that is, it's not FWH.

From How to Brew:

First Wort Hopping
An old yet recently rediscovered process (at least among homebrewers), first wort hopping (FWH) consists of adding a large portion of the finishing hops to the boil kettle as the wort is received from the lauter tun. As the boil tun fills with wort (which may take a half hour or longer), the hops steep in the hot wort and release their volatile oils and resins. The aromatic oils are normally insoluble and tend to evaporate to a large degree during the boil. By letting the hops steep in the wort prior to the boil, the oils have more time to oxidize to more soluble compounds and a greater percentage are retained during the boil.

Only low alpha finishing hops should be used for FWH, and the amount should be no less than 30% of the total amount of hops used in the boil. This FWH addition therefore should be taken from the hops intended for finishing additions. Because more hops are in the wort longer during the boil, the total bitterness of the beer in increased but not by a substantial amount due to being low in alpha acid. In fact, one study among professional brewers determined that the use of FWH resulted in a more refined hop aroma, a more uniform bitterness (i.e. no harsh tones), and a more harmonious beer overall compared to an identical beer produced without FWH.

To the OP: Leave the FWH hops in your kettle for the whole boil.

Thanks for the info. Two more followups:
How high alpha acids are too high? I'd like to FWH with a 5.9% Cascade and a 9.1% Centennial. Is the centennial too high? My IBU's are coming in around 39 right now, is there a percentage more I should anticipate with the FWH?
Thanks!

Edit: one more acutally. Are the finishing additions different from the aroma additions? My recipe calls for a 10 min addition and a flame-out aroma steep. Which of those would go into the FWH?

I don't have a whole lot of experience with FWH, but I'd take both of your late cascade additions (10 min and flameout) and use them as FWH. Leave the Centennial where they are, and cut the Magnum back to 0.5 oz to account for the extra IBUs from the FWH.

Huh, how bout that! Learn something new everyday. I just assumed any aroma would be boiled off. I guess as long as the oils become soluble they would not boil off. I have my doubts...

My last couple of brews I have put my bittering hops in as FWH. I've been using both Chinook and Columbus hops. In all cases, the hop bite or bittering from these additions was not there at all. I've recently read where I need to calculate the bittering effect from the FWH addition the same as I would a 20 min addition. This seems about right to me.

Does anyone else any experience with FWH?

Back