Midwest Supplies Cologne Kolsch Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumbs71

Reaction score
I just received the Cologne Kolsch extract kit from Midwest Supplies for my second batch. I ordered it with the dry yeast that's included, but I was doing some reading and saw that they highly recommend liquid yeast.

Should I order the liquid yeast or will I be ok with the dry yeast? Will it make that much of a difference?

Thanks for the help!

You should be fine using the dry stuff... if you progress into all grain start getting the liquid and doing starters and all of that. There is a lot you can do with liquid yeast as far as storage and propagation you will find in these forums but until then dry packets are fine.

Sounds good. Thanks for the reply. Do you have any recommendations for fermentation temperature? I've read that a Kolsch should be fermented and conditioned colder than normal.

Sounds good. Thanks for the reply. Do you have any recommendations for fermentation temperature? I've read that a Kolsch should be fermented and conditioned colder than normal.

Check the yeast packet... it should give you the proper temperature recommendation. I would say as long as you keep it under 70 degrees you will be fine.

Kolsch is one of those styles that'll benefit from liquid yeast. Normally I ferment my kolsch in the high 50's or low 60's but if you're using dry yeast, ferment it at the low end of the yeast's tolerance (it should say so in the packet). After 3-4 weeks in the primary, cold condition it in the 30's for a couple of weeks. This helps with clarity.

Thanks guys. I'll make this batch as is with the Muton's Dry Yeast. Then down the road I'll try another batch using Liquid Kolsch yeast. It's all a learn by doing process anyways, right?

Are you talking about the Wyeast 2565 liquid Kolsch yeast? Next time give it a shot. I made a fantastic Kolsch with this yeast last summer and at warmer temps (68 ish) it did great and still cleared nicely with some time in the fridge. Of course it also works great at the cooler lager temps.

I believe the yeast is a huge part of what makes a kolsch a kolsch. Get the liquid.

I use the Wyeast. Have a Kolsch and an "APA" fermenting with it right now infact. Per their website, the low end of their effective range is 55*F. My basement is actually about 53 right now, but they seem to be coming along.

I've heard that there is in fact a difference between white labs and wyeasts' products - most of the time I've heard that people prefer wyeast. That's really the only reason I started using it. But like you said, this is all about experimenting and seeing what happens. Of course, that being said, I'm sure we can all agree that we're a little disappointed when you open your first bottle of a batch and it sucks...

As for the issue of letting it settle some more, my plan is just to keep the beer at the lower temps for 5-6 weeks instead of my usual 3. The yeast will settle out in the bottles when it's sitting in the fridge - I just give them extra time in there too before I pop 'em.

I've heard that there is in fact a difference between white labs and wyeasts' products - most of the time I've heard that people prefer wyeast.
There's a slight difference.I believe the temperature range for WY goes down to the 50's while WLP only goes down to the low 60's. I've fermented with WLP in the 50's so I think it's just them being conservative. WY is said to have a winey essence to it (think of a very subdued Chardonnay) but WLP has more of a clean, crisp finish to it. Differences are very subtle. And of course, there's the difference between packaging - vial vs. smack pack.

I know this is an old thread but I just brewed MW Kolsch on Sunday, brought the temp down to 58F as I had read about people using WL029 at that low temp. Nothing happened for two days. I brought the fermenter out of my utility room as it stays about 55F during the winter and moved it to an area that’s 68-70F. Finally at 66F, it started to take off. I assume part of the problem is I did not make a starter and the other part is, White says lower end for this yeast is 62F. Lesson learned!

I will lager this in the kegerator for four or five weeks before putting in a serving keg. Can’t wait to see the results.

Yep, 58F is perfect for WY2565 with a starter. It's too cold for WLP029, which needs low/mid 60's to ferment.

You may need gelatin added to your brite tank to help clear the yeast. It can be really stubborn to floc out, though I have no experience with the WLP.

Back