You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible to overdose on "probiotics" (read: homebrewed beer that may still have some active yeast in it)? Asking for a friend who wants to stop buying new underwear every three months.

Yes, it is possible. I have had a few occasions where a day or two after having some homebrewski, I'm on the toilet recreating the infamous laxative blowout scene from 'Dumb And Dumber.' 😬

Yes, it is possible. I have had a few occasions where a day or two after having some homebrewski, I'm on the toilet recreating the infamous laxative blowout scene from 'Dumb And Dumber.' 😬
Oh thank you for burning that one into my brain again....

Since all I drink is pretty much my own homebrew (along with water, and gatorade, but not much milk because that's worse than yeast to my gut) I pretty much do that every day. I've got to have the cleanest colon on my block....

Since all I drink is pretty much my own homebrew (along with water, and gatorade, but not much milk because that's worse than yeast to my gut) I pretty much do that every day. I've got to have the cleanest colon on my block....

you know you're a homebrewer when you want to ask what their FG is on a comment like that? you know dextrins work like soluble fiber, pass right through...maybe time for some gluco, or lower mash temps.....

you know you're a homebrewer when you want to ask what their FG is on a comment like that? you know dextrins work like soluble fiber, pass right through...maybe time for some gluco, or lower mash temps.....

For whatever reason all this talk about fiber has me thinking of a skit from the 'Bob & Tom' radio show about a laxative beer called Shat's. 🤣

OH MY GOSH! Things are making so much sense right now!

How about you start trying to sell items, or even GIVE them away to clear space in the room you ferment in so that you can add another conical (or maybe two?). I'm pretty much in that position now. I need to create some available space so that I can add at least one more and NOT have it interfere with the rest of the process (canning finished beer). Selling stuff would be preferred since $$ gained from that will be used in the purchase of new brewing gear. :D

You know you're a home brewer when THIS is your idea of "foamy"
PXL_20210816_234551433.jpg

Full disclosure:
English bitter brewed yesterday. Was calm at ~5pm. Checked at 7:45pm and it had blown the Starsan solution to just into the vent holes. Added to it to get to the level you see and it hit this level of foam in not more than a minute. :D

Here's an interesting (and disgusting) story, but it immediately reminded me of this thread. This week, myself and another maintenance guy had to pull a sewage grinder/pump from a sewage pit in the basement of one of our buildings. Too many non-flushable wipes get flushed and clog it. We disconnected the PVC union at the check valve and the PVC nut and rubber seal fell into the sewage pit (4-5ft deep with 3ft of liquid/solids in it). All I had was an old broom handle and a pair of those reacher/grabber tools, and I was not having a great time trying to blindly fish the nut and seal out of the the bottom of this mess.

Then it hit me....whirlpool!

I think this one has been done before, but...you know you're a homebrewer when you resist buying some brands of craft bottled beer because the labels won't come off easy. FYI Sierra Nevada labels come off if you just look at them funny.
You buy a bottled beer, not because it's what you want, but because you need the empties.
My last few beer runs have been for Sierra Nevada bottles specifically, even though the selection on the east coast is such a bummer. Nectarine ale in a variety pack, come on Grossman :confused:

My last few beer runs have been for Sierra Nevada bottles specifically, even though the selection on the east coast is such a bummer. Nectarine ale in a variety pack, come on Grossman :confused:

I feel like I see less of Sierra Nevada varieties on the east coast than I used to (MA, here). I haven't seen their porter in forever, if they even still make it.

Also, I go for Pilsner Urquell, even though it's less than 12oz each, because I can MURDER a 12 pack.

When you drink a lot of great beer and you made it all.

i had to correct it, "for my taste"....lol i know i'm homebrew when i call no man "god", i don't care if it's swill as long as i'm drinking on my feet, and not my knees!

I think this one has been done before, but...you know you're a homebrewer when you resist buying some brands of craft bottled beer because the labels won't come off easy. FYI Sierra Nevada labels come off if you just look at them funny.
You buy a bottled beer, not because it's what you want, but because you need the empties.

LOL, when i want to bottle something when someone really wants to try it..i just buy a 20oz coke, dump it out refill it, and give it to them label intact...(see above! :mug:)

Last edited:
Others enjoy your craft beer so much they offer to pay for it.

I laugh, thank them and say "I can't charge, but you can have a much as you want for free." The looks I then get!
I get that a lot, when I tell people I make beer. 9 times out of 10 the first comment is, "do you sell it?". Or my favorite, "I didn't think that was legal!".

I get that a lot, when I tell people I make beer. 9 times out of 10 the first comment is, "do you sell it?". Or my favorite, "I didn't think that was legal!".
The first question I usually get is “How long does it take?” And the second question is just about always “Can you make it as strong as you want? How do you make it stronger?”

Thinking I'll get this one for the can 'overflow'.
This is the one I got: Beers of the World Fridge

A few weeks later I went and got another small no-freezer fridge on Craigslist, because one beer fridge was not enough. (Turns out that two is not enough either, but I'm running out of space to put them.)

Getting back to the theme of this thread: You know you're a homebrewer when you discover that two beer fridges are not enough.

This is the one I got: Beers of the World Fridge

A few weeks later I went and got another small no-freezer fridge on Craigslist, because one beer fridge was not enough. (Turns out that two is not enough either, but I'm running out of space to put them.)

Getting back to the theme of this thread: You know you're a homebrewer when you discover that two beer fridges are not enough.
I saw that, but it won't arrive fast enough for me. ;)
Worst Buy has this one available for delivery to me (early next week). Holds "130" cans (we know they only count with 12oz cans, so using 16oz blows that number away).

You know you're a homebrewer when you're looking at where to place a new beer can fridge and decide it should be able to replace the new microwave cart that you got not even two weeks before.

Back