lagering in chest freezer - regulator required?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kappclark

Reaction score
I am wondering if you need a Johnson temp controller to get a chest freezer to say 45 degrees (or whatever is considered optimal lagering temp) ..

If one lagers at an even lower temp (not freezing) .. is that bad ?

Well, if you can figure out a way to keep a chest freezer from freezing with out a temp. control than yes you don't need it.

Lagering takes place between 32-35 degrees F in most cases and the freezer wants to go below that temp. with on board settings.

I'd sure like to save $40-$60 if you know how to w/o Ranco.

I've always been under the impression that you can't keep a chest freezer warm enough without an external controller. I'd think you'd want one, anyway; you can LAGER in the mid-30°s, but fermenting out a lager for primary you'll want to be (usually) 50°-55°, and seems to me that you might as well leave open the ability to keep your ales fermented in the mid-60° once it warms up. Get a cheap analogue controller, it'll give you all the flexibility in the world.

Back