FG and refractometer help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tilldeath

Reaction score
So I went down to check on my IPA, brewed about 10 days ago and start my 3 readings to see if primary is complete. OG in brix was 17.8-18 and corrected out to 1.074-1.075, my reading a few min. ago was 8. Using a alcohol correction calculator online, who knows how accurate that is, gave me a FG of 1.005?!? I can't believe this is correct, that would mean a super dry finish and closer to 9% abv instead of the target 7.1% abv. What's going on here and can someone verify this with their calculator? I used safale-us05 for this batch and to my understanding it should attenuate to around 75%. What's going on here?

Wow, that is a bunch of sugar for an IPA. Sounds like you are using a refractometer and getting Brix readings from it. I agree that 17.9 %Brix would be about 1.074 OG. However, 8 %Brix final would give an FG more in the range of 1.024. I'm a hydrometer guy, not a refractometer user, so I am not an expert on how they work or how the results are to be interpreted. Can you check the SG with a hydrometer? Are you sure that the grain bill used would result in such a high OG? If my numbers are right, you are closer to 6 - 6.5 % ABV and 67% attenuation.

what the heck is going on here? I can't see it being that low of a gravity, I just don't understand the issue here. How can I go from 1.075ish down to 1.005 with that yeast? that's like 90+% so there is no way it can be that high. :confused:

my refractometer calculator shows the same thing, 1.006
what was your mash temp? did you add simple sugars?

I think that you have to make corrections for taking a reading using a refractometer after fermentation has begun.

Others will likely be able to point you to a website that will help you correct your brix post fermentation. I am just beginning to use my refractometer, but have read not to use it after fermentation, or if you do, you need to correct the reading somehow.

*OP, editing as it looks like you have already corrected the reading... sorry - this is what I get for not reading your whole post :)

As mentioned above, go to the MoreBeer site and download the free refractometer conversion calculator to SG. It corrects for the alcohol in the solution when using a refractometer.

Dr Malt

As mentioned above, go to the MoreBeer site and download the free refractometer conversion calculator to SG. It corrects for the alcohol in the solution when using a refractometer.

Dr Malt

Did that and if it's correct then my attenuation was way up, not wanting to risk it fermenting any more I transfered o secondary and started my dry hop. Will see what happens, hopefully this will help?

Back