Add Mineral Salts to Mash or Boil for flavoring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipscman

Reaction score
I have very soft Oregon water, pH about 7 with negligible hardness. I use "5.2" in the mash. I'm told by the folks that make 5.2 to go ahead and add various mineral salts for flavoring - that these are not redundant because "5.2" is primarily comprised of phosphates, not salts.

So, I want to add some gypsum to an all grain recipe for an Alt bier. Could be for an IPA, Bohemian Pils, etc. The point is that the gypsum (or chalk or epsom salts for other recipes) are NOT being added to effect the pH of the mash. They are being added to impact the flavor, largely hop accentuation.

That being said, I assumed it would make sense to add these to the boil. However, the gentleman at Five Star Chemicals suggests putting them in the mash. I've seen both approaches mentioned in the forums.

Your thoughts, advice, experiences?

Thanks.

Mark

My initial thought is that you adjust water to mimic another region's water profile and to gain the effects that water has on the brewing process. That being said - in any given region, brewer's are using the same water to mash as will end up in the boil. I would prepare my adjusted water and use it for any step necessary - from the mash to any top-offs along the way.

The usual advice is to add an appropriate amount for your mash volume to the mash, and then add the remainder to the boil.

But when you add to the mash, add it in your MLT and not in your strike water kettle. If you add it to the kettle, the temperatures are high enough to cause the salts to precipitate out.

Back