Ultimate College Apartment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iwoodcock

Reaction score
When I think of the ultimate college apartment, it always has one thing. A kegerator, and it just so happens I came across one.
Back in the eighties, my great grandfather hid a kegerator in the salesmen's room of our family wholesale business. It was rumored that the beast lay hidden somewhere in the enormous warehouse. So I decided to find it, I asked a few people who worked there and finally someone told me "oh yeah, the kegerator? I used to inventory that thing every year then i just stopped. I know exactly where it was though." So we traveled to a hidden corner of the warehouse, where he pointed to a box at the top of some shelves. Some guys helped me get it down with a forklift and this is what I found.The Flagon 400, it has everything except a tap; it even works.
I plan on updating this thread with my enhancements of this gem from 1980, and I hope that some of you can feel my sheer excitement...I never thought I'd have a kegerator in college.

Flagon400.jpg

FoundersBrew said:
Pretty snazzy! Paint job, new top, and a tower?

Well the top has a weird white film on it, with stainless underneath so I might just go with the stainless. The door has an old faux wood finish, not too jazzed about that so I might do something to it. I'm gonna put a two-tap tower on it, since I can get three cornys in there.

You have to leave the fake wood. In honor of your great gramps.

ya, you better not even think of painting over that "wood". it will be retro. and cool. and ironic or something.

Is the white film covering the top just "protective" film. As in it is untouched stainless after 30 years? Amazing.

I too would keep the wood grain. Clean it up and deck it out. I've got a bottle of jack daniels that has long since gone bad from when my gpa died in 2001. The label is 83 when I was born. It tastes like paint thinner.

Keep a little of the old man around. Its college, after all.

I think you should get a picture of the grandpa and but it on the front. That way when people are like "dude that is an old fridge and whats with the picture?" a good story insues

Well I guess I will keep the wood...but yeah stainless is perfect, not a scratch on the surface.

The warehouse is about 120,000 sq ft, with two story racks. Ample space for a kegerator to hide.

having just finished my 4th of 5 years at college, I can't wait to share some pics of my kegerator, bar, and homebrew set up in my apartment. And the custom beer pong table may need to make an appearance. If anyone is ever near Ames, IA come in for a pint!

Nice find. My sophomore year in school we turned the university provided fridge in our apartment into a kegerator. We killed something like 15 kegs of PBR that year. When we moved out we filled in the hole with Silicon and put a football schedule magnet over it and nobody ever said a thing.

College Refrigerator stories?

Boy, we had an a$$hole as a neighbor in our dorm, so one weekend my roommate got back from spear fishing... we broke into his room and pulled the fridge out... then stuck the fish (about 3 lbs) on the front side of the compressor and put the fridge back. when he returned on Sunday the smell was horrible! They cleaned and fumigated for weeks and never got rid of the smell... They finally moved the guy to a new dorm!!!

VICTORY! LOL...

Then we broke back in, cleaned up what was left of the carcase and sprayed it all down. The next semester 2 hot chicks moved in and we threw them a welcome party!

DOUBLE VICTORY!!!

God I miss college!!! Can I go back?

Just in time for memorial day. This was the most rewarding project ever. Still working on the picture for the door...

image-1253323154.jpg

image-3485749599.jpg

Make sure you put up a jar with a sign on it that says "just because its a home brew doesn't mean if FREE!!! pay up or BYOB". who knows, you could pay for your brewing supplies.

Just finished up junior year... first thing I did when I hit that magic 21... built a kegerator. Such an investment! :)

Latest posts

Back