Carboy Cleaner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DakotaRules

Reaction score
This is my carboy cleaner!

I'm just going to post it to YouTube because I'm lazy right now!
I you need any more information just ask.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing like seeing 8 dollars worth of Camlocks on a 2 dollar bucket!

so are the keg disconnects so you can clean those connectors in place, without having to remove the connectors, etc? you just take off the lid, hook up the connectors and let it go to town?

very cool implementation, but i agree... you need a stainless bucket or something pretty to go with those camlocks ;)

slakwhere said:
so are the keg disconnects so you can clean those connectors in place, without having to remove the connectors, etc? you just take off the lid, hook up the connectors and let it go to town?

very cool implementation, but i agree... you need a stainless bucket or something pretty to go with those camlocks ;)

Yes the ball locks go on the keg and shoot starsan or cleaner through the tubes and the spray bar sprays the bottom of the keg also.

nice build, thats pretty awesome! my uncle built something similar (he makes wine) with a rotating sprinkler head thingy at the end for cleaning out his wine barrels

Thanks guys! This is just my interpretation of other cleaning buckets that I've seen around.

great design. maybe place the pump level with the carboy to get increased pressure.

Misplaced_Canuck said:
How long does it take to get the neck clean? I'm using a similar (but greatly simplified) and it looks like one hour of spraying gets it done.

M_C

About 20 minutes but if it's not clean by then I use a brush and put it back on for 5 minutes.

I was putting together something to clean my kegs and watched this video last night and put this together tonight :ban:

I have not used it yet but I will this weekend :mug:

Thanks for the idea!

SAM_1013.JPG

SAM_1015.JPG

brewmasterorr said:
I was putting together something to clean my kegs and watched this video last night and put this together tonight :ban:

I have not used it yet but I will this weekend :mug:

Thanks for the idea!

Awesome! I wanted to mount the camlock on the bottom of the bucket but didn't want to risk not being able to seal the hole and having it leak all over the floor.

What did you use?

I had everything to make a bulkhead but the nipple, barb, and valve. Which I picked up at home depot along with the bucket. I wanted the camlock on the bottom for easy priming I have the little giant pump instead of the chugger so I will make a video of the difference in power when I use it. I did test the bulkhead and no leaks it has a silicone o ring on each side.

:mug:

Jeff

Nice idea! So, this just recircs the cleaner, right? I was thinking this might be possible to do on a brew rig too. Just use one of the keggles that has a recirc piped in already. You could make a protective cover for the top of the keggle, so the carboy would sit upside-down on it. I might try this next time! Thanks for the post!

Nice idea! So, this just recircs the cleaner, right? I was thinking this might be possible to do on a brew rig too. Just use one of the keggles that has a recirc piped in already. You could make a protective cover for the top of the keggle, so the carboy would sit upside-down on it. I might try this next time! Thanks for the post!

You can recirculate cleaner, sanitizer, or fresh water. You could easily modify a keggle but make sure to protect a glass carboy around the ring of kettle. You could also heat the cleaner if you go that route.

hrm... I wonder what the outside diameter is of the blue upside down carboy stand
larger than 12" and you can use it on top of the keggle.

-=Jason=-

I guess it depends on the brew rig. I have two pumps and could clean it on my hot liquor tank or mash tun while I boil. I think it could be done...

brewmasterorr said:
The problem with using the keggle is not being able to clean while you are boiling. I get a lot of my clean up done during the boil....

Same here, I have a 15 gallon hot liquor tank also. I would need to fab a few things but it could work. Damn it! Now I have another project!

Tell me about it! I literally finished the latest to-do list for the brewery last night at midnight. 14 hours is about as long as that list can stay blank!!!!

Great idea! I'm going to build one like this so I don't have to buy another pump.

So true! And it doesnt help that I look for things to add to my brewery on this website!

this sure does look a LOT like a bottling bucket with an extra camlock on it now. maybe some of you bottlers could make this do double duty!

20347d1297226589-carboy-cleaner-sam_1013.jpg

EarthBound said:
What dip tube?

Exactly, in order to use this drill attachment you have to disassemble the corney keg. With the buckets we've made it's a clean in place type of bucket where the cleaner is pushed through the dip tube and the air lock tube.

I think this would be great for a once in while deep clean but not if your using your kegs more frequently.

shelly_belly said:
Looking good. I like the use of the carboy dryer. I have one of those sitting around not getting used. Now I know what to do with it. Thumbs up!

You should also check out my Carboy crates, they have the dryer in them also. I use the dryers all the time.

Dakota, thanks for the inspiration. i took this idea and ran with it. stole the camlock bits off my MLT and Keggle so i need to order replacements andgrab the proper attachments for the keg posts but it's all set for carboys! :ban:

i went with a bulkhead/ball valve on the bottom because i wasn't sure how you were priming your pump with both input and output above the water line... :confused:

and when i went to the OrangeBox store i ran into a guy sitting on the ground with a 10 gal orange cooler, a page out of a homebrew book and a stack of fittings. helped him get his MLT built for his first AG tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly, in order to use this drill attachment you have to disassemble the corney keg. With the buckets we've made it's a clean in place type of bucket where the cleaner is pushed through the dip tube and the air lock tube.

I think this would be great for a once in while deep clean but not if your using your kegs more frequently.

Lol... the name of this thread is carboy cleaner, not carboy/corny cleaner. Good luck with your corny cleaner project, buddy. :rolleyes:

Disassembly takes a minute or two. With the time it takes to set your cleaner-thingy up, I'll clean two corny kegs! :D

Lol... the name of this thread is carboy cleaner, not carboy/corny cleaner. Good luck with your corny cleaner project, buddy. :rolleyes:

Disassembly takes a minute or two. With the time it takes to set your cleaner-thingy up, I'll clean two corny kegs! :D

To each there own. :mug:

I like mine, you like yours, were both happy. :tank:

Dakota, thanks for the inspiration. i took this idea and ran with it. stole the camlock bits off my MLT and Keggle so i need to order replacements andgrab the proper attachments for the keg posts but it's all set for carboys! :ban:

i went with a bulkhead/ball valve on the bottom because i wasn't sure how you were priming your pump with both input and output above the water line... :confused:

and when i went to the OrangeBox store i ran into a guy sitting on the ground with a 10 gal orange cooler, a page out of a homebrew book and a stack of fittings. helped him get his MLT built for his first AG tomorrow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5E_kMyTueA

I prime it by pouring cleaner in the hoses before i attach them to the bucket.
I am thinking that i my put a bulkhead on the bottom to make it easier but i didn't have an extra 1/2" one sitting around I only have 3/8". Ill probably run the ball lock hoses through the the extra hole in the top. I always run into new homebrewers in the plumbing isle at HD, I always try to help! :D

Ok, I have seen similar style carboy/keg cleaners on the internet but they all seem to just shoot water out the top of the pipe and let that water run down the inside to clean the rest. Has anyone tackled trying to put together a sprayer tube that has jets from top to bottom and spins using a water tight bearing (similar to those tall water sprinklers). I know the fit would be tight into the opening of the carboy but just curious if anyone has tried to build something like that so you get spining water spray in all directions?

Back