Great find, just want to make sure its a good deal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edcculus

Reaction score
I found some equipment for sale. Just wanted to run it past those of you who own kegging stuff and see if its as good of a deal as I think. Since I'm moving, I'll be needing the fermenters too. I also don't own a wort chiller yet. Here is the list:
9 (5 gallon stainless steel kegs/ cornelius kegs)
1 (5 lbs alluminum CO2 tank (partially filled))
1 (regulator for CO2 tank)
1 (50 foot copper wort chiller)
2 (5 gallon glass carboys)
1 (6 1/2 gallon glass carboy)
1 (plastic fermenter)
4 (beermaking books)
1 (18' funnel)

lots of tubing/ O rings/ termometer/ bottle capper/ recipes ect.
I'm guessing this comes in at over $600 worth of stuff? He is asking $325 which seems pretty fair.

Ya it’s a good deal if you want to get into kegging. Just the kegs alone would cost you $200 or so. I would wonder how all the rings were in the kegs. Maybe use that as a bargaining tool to get the cost down a bit.

Whats an 18' funnel?

I would check the seals on the corny kegs to make sure they hold. Have the guy connect them to the regulator and the CO2 tank. If they don't hold you can get rebuild kits for the corny kegs for $5-$10. If the regulator or tank are shot that is the bulk of your cost.

Thanks guys. Thats what I wanted to know. I am looking into kegging. I'll make sure to ask about the rings and pressure too. Thats something I wouldnt have though of.

Yeah, I'd say it's a good deal. A new 5# CO2 tank is going to run you $60 or so, and the cheapest regulator is going to be $15 (could be as much as $50 depending on the brand, etc.) If you don't need the carboys and fermenters, you may be able to give some fledgling brewer a *great* deal on the equipment you don't need, although it's hard to have too many fermenters.

Well,
8 kegs - 4-pack ball lock kegs - $152
double-gauge regulator with ball valve - Here - $55
5 pound CO2 cylinder, new - $73

So, no, even $325 seems too much to me for used, untested stuff from a seller of unknown trustwortiness. How old is that CO2 tank - doe sit need to be hydro-tested? Is the gauge accurate (or even working)? I've bought several times from CHI Company, and I have had no issues with them.

All the other stuff is "periperal" to me - glass carboys are on their way to extinction, I use a Therminator now even though I have a 25' and a 50 ' IC, fermenting buckets are *CHEAP*, and books are subjective - other than the New Complete Joy of Homebrewing and How to Brew, I don't know of other "must-haves".

Disclaimer - I'm the one that always has problems with used gear. At least with new, there's usually a company to bring non-working items to.
-keith

Latest posts

Back