pasturizing cider/seperation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lammyrock

Reaction score
I just finished brewing my first batch of hard cider (following the caramel apple hard cider recipe from this site), and it tastes great -thanks upstatemike!

I didn't add pectin enzymes (per a suggestion from a shop owner) and it stayed real hazy, but that didn't bother me until I tried to heat pasteurize it.

I used the stove top heat pasteurization process (also found on this website) and it appeared to work well until the next day I noticed what looks like a collection of pulp at the bottom of every bottle. When I poured one into a glass and let it settle again it looks clearer than before but has a mess at the bottom of the glass.

Did I make a huge mistake? I appears that if I used the pectin enzymes this may not have happened -but I'm still very new to brewing.

Suggestions? Ideas?

Last night I opened all the bottles, poured them into a bucket, gave it some time to settle (probably not long enough because I'm impatient) and rebottled. I lost about three bottles worth of cider but this morning it looked pretty clear in the bottle.

I'll pour one tonight and let y'all know how it turns out.

Enzymes for Everyone!

Back