Post Boil wort PH...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joehoppy

Reaction score
How important is post boil wort ph and where should it be? I have read a few threads and if I remember correctly it states that post boil ph should be around 5.2? If this is correct how critical is it to hit this mark? The last two beers brewed since getting a ph meter have shown a ph of 5.4-5.5. Is this ok or should I be checking ph during the boil and adding acid to compensate?

Yes, I think 5.2 is a good number to throw out. Up to 5.4 or even 5.5 is probably OK and down to 5 is OK too. If you pressed me I'd say 5 - 5.2 but that's just my opinion. The literature may have different ranges for different beers (a bit higher for lagers than for ales, for example).

As you just got a pH meter I recommend reading https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/ph-meter-calibration-302256/ and making sure that you are doing things right with that meter. Lots of guys find there is a learning curve (I certainly did) with pH meters. Be sure you have done the calibration and stability checks so that you can be confident in what your meter is telling you.

Latest posts

Back