Oktoberfest and Lactose at bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im getting ready to bottle my edworts Oktoberfest (awesome); ive been toying with boiling some lactose along with the priming sugar and adding that to the bottling bucket.
How do you think that would affect final outcome of beer? I really like how it affects the mouthfeel, but not sure what its effects would be to an Oktoberfest...

Any thoughts, ideas?

As always, :mug:

Not a good idea IMO. Malt is the provider of sweetness in an O'fest, the offbeat flavor of lactose seems strange here. If you want additional mouthfeel use malto-dextrin.

You can try it if you want. I think it would taste weird. I agree with the malto-dexterine.

If you want to up the chewiness or sweetness, I would think mashing higher and/or throwing in some Carapils on your next brewing of it would give you a better result.

Lactose and MD both sound like awful ideas in an Ofest beer. They're supposed to be malty, but dry enough to go down easily by the mass. You might consider it if this finished at 1.002 or so, but otherwise you're just going to make this unfestlike.

Hmmm, good point; I never really thought about that. Might just leave well enough alone... The sample tastes great, I was just trying to make it a bit creamier?

I dunno, maybe it's just me. I haven't touched dairy in 15 years, so I wouldn't know "creamy" if it punched me in the jaw. Still, this is a festbier, not a milk stout, so my feeling is this kind of addition is out of place.

Don't get me wrong, it's your beer and you do with it what you like. This kind of addition just strikes me as a decidedly untraditional change that would not improve the beer. Then again, maybe it's an improvement for you.

Why not add a small amount of MD to the last 6 or so bottles you fill, and then you can compare. If you like the unadulterated stuff better, no biggie as you just changed that one 6 pack. If you do like it better, well, now you know for next time you brew this recipe.

Back