Addition Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scruffy1207

Reaction score
I'm adding Corriander, Lemon Peel, Orange Peel, and Bitter Orange peel to this Orange Wit Extract. I was wondering if i should try and keep them out of the fermentor by putting them in a hop bag, or just pour them in for the 2 week Fermentation time.

Are you planning on adding these to the boil or to the fermentation vessel after the boil? If you are planning on adding them to the boil and you don't have a ball valve on your pot (which I am guessing you don't given that this is extract) then it should not interfere with the wort transfer. I use a large hop bag myself when adding these to the boil because I have had a piece of orange peel clog up the ball valve intake on my brew kettle.

Either way will work fine. I would suggest a hop bag or straining the wort when pouring into the fermenter (through fine mesh, which also has the benefit of aerating the wort very well, and removing hop debris and break material) if you want to harvest the yeast afterward. This makes yeast washing absurdly easy, and I find that my beers taste a bit cleaner by doing this. But, if you don't have the material to do this, don't fret, as it will still be great if you just leave it in the fermenter (I've done both).

Are you planning on adding these to the boil or to the fermentation vessel after the boil? If you are planning on adding them to the boil and you don't have a ball valve on your pot (which I am guessing you don't given that this is extract) then it should not interfere with the wort transfer. I use a large hop bag myself when adding these to the boil because I have had a piece of orange peel clog up the ball valve intake on my brew kettle.

Sorry yeah adding at the last 10 of the boil and i was wondering if it would become overpowering if i added it to the fermentor or just add some smell or if i should just keep it out all together.

I usually add coriander and peels during the last 10 minutes of the boil. The coriander definitely comes through, the last wit I made used fresh orange peel and it finished with a nice subtle orange flavor.

My wife did all her steeping/additions in bags. Including the orange/lemon peel/spices,which were done during the 15 min hop addition. Comes out cleaner,& smells pretty darn good so far.

I put the coriander (crushed ever so slightly) and bitter orange peel in a small bag my LHBS gave me. Seemed to work fine, kept all the bit and pieces out of the boil.

This was my first brew and it's only *just* bottled, so I don't know how the finished flavor will be yet.

I finished up last night. Strained it out when transferring to the fermenter, didn't have time to add yeast and all that yet, am going to do hydrometer readings and yeast addition today. Before anyone asks, it's got an air lock on it

Back