Finishing a Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MojaveRob

Reaction score
I brewed a dunkel last week and fermentation is nearing completion. I'm not sure if I pitched the correct amount of yeast because I did a starter and don't really know how to judge what I got. I did notice an above average amount of cloudiness from the yeast. My question is: should I col crash it to settle some of the yeast out? What have other people tried and had success with in finishing wheat beers where cloudiness is an intended finish?

Dunkelweizens should not be brilliantly clear. I would let fermentation finish up (I leave mine in the primary for 3-4 weeks) and then bottle as normal.

Also, not sure what you mean by the last sentence... do you want it cloudy or no?

Are you bottling or kegging?

Honestly I never cold crash my hefe or dunkelweizens. I usually only let it ferment out then give it a couple days at ferm temps to clean up a little then rack into a keg. You can however go too early to bottle and have crap loads of yeast in the bottle. Wheat yeast is very powdery. It will look like tons of cloudiness but it will settle and then after a time it will just be the left over really powdery yeast that is there. You really need to sample and let the beer tell you when it is ready, most the time it is the same process for the hefes I make, but sometimes they suprise me and need more time or less time depending upon a lot of factors.

I however would not leave a hefe or dunkelweizen of normal gravity sitting in primary for 3 or 4 weeks. I'm drinking them at that point.

Back