My lager airlock smells like suphur!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. I can't wait until I can start lagering, shouldn't be too much longer. Got someone coming in to wire the basement in another week (another one of those jobs I don't feel like tackling myself, and his quote seems quite reasonable), which then means I'm in the market for chest freezers and temperature controllers. I can't wait to start making authentic Oktoberfests and bocks and stuff like that (and MAYBE a lawnmower beer or two :D)

I'm going to have a similar setup one day, with the freezer and all that. Right now I just have my carboy in a Styrofoam box sitting on the concrete floor in the basement, and it holds at 58F all by itself. Not perfect for pisleners and that sort, but adequate for Bocks. I love Canada!

Chairman Cheyco said:
I'm going to have a similar setup one day, with the freezer and all that. Right now I just have my carboy in a Styrofoam box sitting on the concrete floor in the basement, and it hold at 58F all by itself. Not perfect for pisleners and that sort, but adequate for Bocks. I love Canada!

My basement's in the low 60s now (maybe even 50s, I haven't checked lately), so I'm seriously thinking about doing a bock and fermenting it with the Cali Common yeast (2112). I had a dopplebock that Brewsmith made with that yeast, and it was damn good; I wouldn't have known that it wasn't technically lagered.

the_bird said:
My basement's in the low 60s now (maybe even 50s, I haven't checked lately), so I'm seriously thinking about doing a bock and fermenting it with the Cali Common yeast (2112). I had a dopplebock that Brewsmith made with that yeast, and it was damn good; I wouldn't have known that it wasn't technically lagered.

You can get away with a lot when you'll drink anything! :tank:

I also want to try that yeast, but mostly because of Rush. Temples of Syrinx Lager?

:D

Chimone said:
elephant farts eh?
My lagering fridge is in my "guest room" and over the holidays SWMBO had some family out. The timing was perfect with a lager I had going in the fridge - I'd say they were present for peak fermentation time. Needless to say, I kept the fridge good and sealed up until everyone was ready to turn in on night 1 - then it was time for show & tell.

....I am pretty sure none of them would try my brew after that smell-sample. They were gagging for about a half an hour. Elephant farts is right!!! :D

My lack of space and the fact that I've already pushed SWMBO pretty far with the all-grain thing means I won't be seeing the ability to lager until we get a house.

Which is after we move.

Which is after grad school.

Dammit. :(

If your wife wore that smell as a parfume would you love it on her?

Just laughing about that so i thought i would post it.

Hm. Don't get me wrong, I sniff my airlock all the time, but when my most recent batch started putting out a sulphur smell, I was not happy, and I amazingly got away with having it stink up the bedroom without SWMBO noticing. Thankfully, it only lasted one day, but when I rack another batch on the yeast cake, that sucker is going outside!

Back