Recipe Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

its02003

Reaction score
So I was on the lookout for a good Irish Red to brew for the fall on my new AG rig and came across one buried in the forum's recipe locator thread. There is a link to it in my signature.

Does anyone else feel like the grain bill is a bit overkill. I mean Maris Otter is a good base for the beer, but after nickle and diming the other 4 billion grains, this is one expensive Irish Red!

I just brewed one a couple days ago that's supposed to be a Sam Adams Irish Red clone, but I found this recipe afterwards, and I'm thinking maybe I should have given it a go instead:

(From Brewing Classic Styles)

Ruabeoir Irish Red Ale
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.014
IBU: 25
SRM: 17
5.2% abv

11.25 lbs. British pale ale malt
6.0 oz. Crystal 40
6.0 oz. Crystal 120
6.0 oz. Roasted barley
1.25 oz. East Kent Goldings, 5%, 60 min.
WLP004 Irish Ale, Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale, or US-05

Mash at 153F, ferment at 66F.

I like the looks of that... I might have to run it through ProMash and see what maris otter does the the recipe... since I really like the taste of that grain.

I think yours is a much better (K.I.S.S.) approach to the style.... appreciate your response.

So I was on the lookout for a good Irish Red to brew for the fall on my new AG rig and came across one buried in the forum's recipe locator thread. There is a link to it in my signature.

Does anyone else feel like the grain bill is a bit overkill. I mean Maris Otter is a good base for the beer, but after nickle and diming the other 4 billion grains, this is one expensive Irish Red!

If by overkill you mean it's too busy and complicated, yes. The recipe in the other post is much better IMO. A base of some good UK pale malt, a little crystal for some background sweetness and a touch of roasted and/or chocolate malt for a reddish tinge. That's really all you need in the grain bill.
:mug:

I was on AHS and I was putting together an order for that grain bill... and I finished and saw the price and gasped.... I don't know how it didn't hit me until checkout...but thats jussscrazzzzzzzzy!

Back