Apfelwein Still Or Carbed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I asked this question a while ago and got variouse answers. I just cant decide :(. I know i should just try both but i want my first batch to be as good as everybody says it is.

Try it both ways -- only you can decide what you really like.

Me, I prefer it carbed. I only came to that realization after trying it both ways :)

Note that it will take awhile to bottle carb if you're going that route, at least a few months for both of my batches.

That's usually a good thing, though, because green apfelwine will peel the skin off your balls(or other, nicer parts, if you're a lady).

The only way your first batch of apfelwine will turn out as good as everyone says it is, is for you to let it age for 3 months in the carboy and another 3 months in the bottles. Luckily I made 20 gallons of the stuff right off of the bat and didn't regret doing it. Right now I have another 10 gallons I recently started, which won't be done till well after I finish my current batches, but right now I am drinking 9 month old apfelwine and it is delicious. The first few I had I thought were pretty gross, so I didn't go back to them for a while, but at about month 6 something magical happens and they become delicious. So as an FYI let them sit...

I'm going to split at least my first batch and give it a try both ways. I have a feeling I'll be splitting all batches too. There are quite a few friends that are waiting to try this. Chances are that a few will like it uncarbed and a few will like it carbed. Once I figure out that ratio, I'll just split my batches 50 / 50 or 60 / 40 or 80 / 20 to compensate.

I like it lightly carbed. not full-on-balls soda-level of carbonation.

I have a variation in bottles that is GONZO Carbed! like 2x Champagne carbed. I'll be purchasing a second regulator so I can play with a keg full and see what's up! I'm thinking that holding that apfelwein keg at 25psi would Be GOOOOOD

Back