Cider pasteurization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decibelz

Reaction score
Ok I've seem some really good stuff so far but not what I'm about to ask . Ok if I've let my cider get to point of my likings and am prepared to bottle can I just reheat the cider to kill off the yeast? Then bottle ? Will this make it a still cider or is there still a chance for it to carbonate in the bottles even though I didn't add any priming sugar?

Or if I again heated it as I said and added priming auger to it then bottling it would it now be sparkling cider now ? Or is the yeast just dead now . I ask this cause after everything I've read this far I think I might have waited to long to carbonate it . Could I also add some firm of non-ferment able sweetener to back sweeten then priming auger bottle wait a week then boil the water then add the bottles for pasteurization ?

I hope I explained my question in full without confusion thanks for and any feed back on this crazy question oh and happy brewing !

Oh I forgot one more thing what if I used campden tabs to it I haven't yet but should I ? And can I if I want it to be sparkling cider?

If you heat the cider enough to kill the yeast (pasteurize it), you can't bottle condition because that takes live yeast.

Perhaps you would want to try a process that doesn't require pasteurizing but using nonfermentable sugars, as you suggested www.makinghardcider.com

Back