10 Gal Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppylikerabbits

Reaction score
Well I have been on here for a while lurking around and researching. After doing a bit of reading i decided to create a Mash Tun. This is a 10 Gal Mash tun with a copper manifold for Fly Sparging down the road. Why not do it right the first time :mug: Let me know what you think.

The Tun itself
5509230123_2a89eae904.jpg

The Manifold
5509831444_08d4e95c39.jpg

The Manifold broke down for easy cleaning
5509832384_becef3e539.jpg

I was actually able to create this tun with no washer in the inside of the tun against the rubber grommet. It all seals up and holds heat perfectly overnight. First brew will be on Thursday! Thanks for all the good Info on the forums!!

Please post the plans for that awesome manifold. What did you use and how long did it take to drill all those holes?

I like it ..... I have a square manifold inside of my ten gallon round cooler. I would have never thought of your design with all the 45's but it looks sweet. You have inspired the design for my next manifold (if I ever need to make another one). The wheels in my head are turning.

Hoppylikerabbits - what are the measurements of the straight pieces of copper tubing?

And, what size holes did you drill?

ultravista said:
Hoppylikerabbits - what are the measurements of the straight pieces of copper tubing?

And, what size holes did you drill?

As soon as I get back to the house from my vacation I will post plans and list the materials. Sorry for the delay

So I might sound like a complete idiot here....but imma go for it anyways. Doesnt the manifold for fly sparging go in the lid so spray water evenly over the whole grain bed? Im pretty sure thats what I read before...but I have also been wrong before.

Please post the plans for that awesome manifold. What did you use and how long did it take to drill all those holes?

The plans for the Octagonal Manifold are as follows:
7-Straight 1/2 OD 3/8 ID copper pipe measuring in at 3 3/4 inch
10-45° 1/2 OD 3/8 ID copper angles
3-Straight 1/2 OD 3/8 ID copper pipe measuring in at 1 1/2 Inch
1- Copper Tee 1/2 OD 3/8 ID
2-Straight 1/2 OD 3/8 ID copper pipe measuring in at 3 1/2 inch
and one 3/8 to MPT copper adapter.

I sat there with a punch and made indentions for the holes on the manifold then i use a 5/64 drillbit and drilled them out which took me about 30 min total. The part that was a PITA was getting the 2 45° to match up and make the funky angle to meet up with the brass nipple. Other than that it was actually easy. I would have gone all the way across the center of the octagon and put the Tee in the middle but the problem there was.... the outlet is a total of 1 inch above the coolers floor so making it match up was virtually impossible.

I used this Mash Tun Last Thursday and I did not get a stuck sparge. Everything was perfect with the manifold. Just had user errors.. (Had a hard time hitting my temps. (first All grain batch))
Hope this helps :)

Wow great idea I was thinking about doing something like this tomorrow for another mash tun.

Back