help me classify my beer for competition!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorJerseyHomebro

Reaction score
I don't have a picture of it, and it isn't even done fermentating yet to be honest so I'm not 100% sure if it will even be usable for this competition. But I think it is the only competition in Norway, and it is pretty well established and so I really want to enter something competetive. The other 2 beers I have made don't really stand out. The last batch I made for my sister in laws wedding however, will hopefully be something that will hit you on the top of the head with hoppy, malty, beautiful goodness.
My problem is that I'm having a hard time figuring out where my beer fits into these guidelines...
I think maybe it can fall under IPA but if it is too dark will that matter?
I've never entered a beer into competition so someone with more experience please lend me some sage advice.

The beer is a west coast style red ale- It is from a recipe I made that is something like
8.8# weyermann bavarian pils extract
1.2# brewferm dark dry
.75# Carahell (crystal 10)
.50# belgian special B
.50# Carabohemian.
All the specialty grains were steeped for a half hour
This was for a 6.5 gallon batch.
the color of the beer according to beer tools is way to dark for an ipa, to me it looks too dark for an ipa.
but it seems like my choice is either ipa or brown ale. There isn't even a category for irish red! ughh.
Here is there style guidelines. I translated it to english via google translate.
If you read bumblebee randomly it means hop. Its the same word in norwegian and it confuses the **** out of the translator.

http://translate.google.com/transla...ontent&task=view&id=527&Itemid=36&sl=no&tl=en

Thanks in advance!

A "west coast red ale" is typically classified as an American amber.

Thats what I was thinking. But,,,, they don't have a sub category for American amber. Or any sort of amber or red for that matter. There's American pale ale, and American brown, but I think this brew is going to be too light (and hoppy) for brown and to dark for a pale ale.
The main categories it can fit into is Light ale or dark ale and even that I am sort of on the fence about.

Maybe I should email the people who are organizing this shindig and ask their opinion.

As for the hop schedule it is something like
1oz Northern brewer 60mins
1oz amarillo 20 mins
1 oz amarillo 10 mins
1 oz amarillo 5 mins
1oz amarillo 0 mins
.5oz northern brewer 0mins
These are sort of estimates I was eyeballing it since I don't have a scale but each came in a 100g bag and I used the whole bag for the amarillo over the course of the last 20 mins of the boil.

Thats what I was thinking. But,,,, they don't have a sub category for American amber. Or any sort of amber or red for that matter. There's American pale ale, and American brown, but I think this brew is going to be too light (and hoppy) for brown and to dark for a pale ale.
The main categories it can fit into is Light ale or dark ale and even that I am sort of on the fence about.

Maybe I should email the people who are organizing this shindig and ask their opinion.

As for the hop schedule it is something like
1oz Northern brewer 60mins
1oz amarillo 20 mins
1 oz amarillo 10 mins
1 oz amarillo 5 mins
1oz amarillo 0 mins
.5oz northern brewer 0mins
These are sort of estimates I was eyeballing it since I don't have a scale but each came in a 100g bag and I used the whole bag for the amarillo over the course of the last 20 mins of the boil.

I believe American Amber Ale catagory is 10B

Is the competition you are entering non-BJCP? I assume so since it's in Norway.

The 10B he is referring to is from the BJCP style guidlines:
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2008_stylebook.pdf

10B. American Amber Ale

Aroma: Low to moderate hop aroma from dry hopping or late
kettle additions of American hop varieties. A citrusy hop character
is common, but not required. Moderately low to moderately
high maltiness balances and sometimes masks the hop
presentation, and usually shows a moderate caramel character.
Esters vary from moderate to none. No diacetyl.
Appearance: Amber to coppery brown in color. Moderately
large off-white head with good retention. Generally quite
clear, although dry-hopped versions may be slightly hazy.

Flavor: Moderate to high hop flavor from American hop varieties,
which often but not always has a citrusy quality. Malt
flavors are moderate to strong, and usually show an initial
malty sweetness followed by a moderate caramel flavor (and
sometimes other character malts in lesser amounts). Malt and
hop bitterness are usually balanced and mutually supportive.
Fruity esters can be moderate to none. Caramel sweetness and
hop flavor/bitterness can linger somewhat into the medium to
full finish. No diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. Carbonation moderate
to high. Overall smooth finish without astringency often
associated with high hopping rates. Stronger versions may
have a slight alcohol warmth.
Overall Impression: Like an American pale ale with more
body, more caramel richness, and a balance more towards malt
than hops (although hop rates can be significant).
History: Known simply as Red Ales in some regions, these
beers were popularized in the hop-loving Northern California
and the Pacific Northwest areas before spreading nationwide.

Comments: Can overlap in color with American pale ales.
However, American amber ales differ from American pale ales
not only by being usually darker in color, but also by having
more caramel flavor, more body, and usually being balanced
more evenly between malt and bitterness. Should not have a
strong chocolate or roast character that might suggest an
American brown ale (although small amounts are OK).
Ingredients: Pale ale malt, typically American two-row. Medium
to dark crystal malts. May also contain specialty grains
which add additional character and uniqueness. American
hops, often with citrusy flavors, are common but others may
also be used. Water can vary in sulfate and carbonate content.

Vital Statistics:
OG:
1.045 – 1.060
IBUs:
25 – 40
FG:
1.010 – 1.015
SRM:
10 – 17
ABV:
4.5 – 6.2%

Commercial Examples: North Coast Red Seal Ale, Tröegs
HopBack Amber Ale, Deschutes Cinder Cone Red, Pyramid
Broken Rake, St. Rogue Red Ale, Anderson Valley Boont Amber
Ale, Lagunitas Censored Ale, Avery Redpoint Ale,
McNeill’s Firehouse Amber Ale, Mendocino Red Tail Ale,
Bell's Amber

Here is my problem with the BJCP style guidelines:
Aroma: Low to moderate hop aroma from dry hopping or late
kettle additions of American hop varieties. A citrusy hop character
is common, but not required. Moderately low to moderately
high maltiness balances and sometimes masks the hop
presentation, and usually shows a moderate caramel character.
Esters vary from moderate to none. No diacetyl.
Appearance: Amber to coppery brown in color. Moderately
large off-white head with good retention. Generally quite
clear, although dry-hopped versions may be slightly hazy.

Flavor: Moderate to high hop flavor from American hop varieties,
which often but not always has a citrusy quality. Malt
flavors are moderate to strong

Is an american amber ale just the most middle of the road beer that exists, or are these style guidelines worthlessly ambiguous?

plus everything is phrased as "the beer can have this, but it isnt required" . . . oh great, an IPA can include hops? but doesnt have to? I guess I'll just make one without hops then.

Is an american amber ale just the most middle of the road beer that exists, or are these style guidelines worthlessly ambiguous?

plus everything is phrased as "the beer can have this, but it isnt required" . . . oh great, an IPA can include hops? but doesnt have to? I guess I'll just make one without hops then.

This style is particularly difficult to define because it encompass everything from fat tire - a beer that is very malty and hardly hopped at all to something like green flash's hop head red or Avery's Red Point which have a very noticeable hop character.

I figured it out, under Norwegian guidelines my beer should fall under the IPA category.
Since for color they say: golden to dark copper
and as long as the malts aren't too overpowering it should fit in the flavour guidelines. I can smell from the fermentor that this would fit into the category as well.

I think that this would work out better than american pale ale as it defines american pale ale as lighter in color. that don't make sense to me but i'm not the one who wrote the rule book.

American Amber pretty much IS a very middle-of-the-road beer. Great ones have tremendous balance. Hoppy, but not TOO hoppy (not an IPA). Malty, but not TOO malty (not a bock). Medium-bodied. Not too light, not too heavy. Great examples of the style really exhibit this balance perfectly, where there's a lot of interesting things going on, all in balance, and you can drink a lot of them.

Hell, some of my favorite beers of all time are pretty much American Ambers, or something close. Dale's Pale Ale (which is kind of amber-ey) and Left Hand Brewing Sawtooth Ale (which I think is called an "American ESB") both have that outstanding balance of being just sweet enough and just enough body and just enough fresh-tasting hops and I could drink and drink and drink them all day.

EDIT: Why are you so focused on color? Color's only part of the story, the hop character's more critical in many cases.

I'm not too worried about hop character because I know this brew is going to have that. That is if it comes out anything like I imagined.
If I'm worried about any character flaws is that it is too malty and unbalanced in that direction. Especially if it is thrown in the ipa category. I think I'm also worried about color because that is how the norwegians seperate the beer styles
light lager
dark lager
light ale
dark ale
export/strong ale

Has anyone looked at the link I posted to give there 2 cents based on the info in the norwegian guidelines?

I took a wee sample from primary last night(its been just over a week) to look at color and see where it is in terms of flavor development.
It is a much weaker tasting brew then I imagined. It has a good amount of bitterness, but the malt character isn't nearly as pronounced as I thought it would be for adding so much character malts, and the hop taste isn't nearly as strong as I thought it would be for adding 4 ounces of amarillo pellets in the last 20 minutes. I mean the aroma is there if you swirl it in a snifter for a few seconds then you get a nice full bouqet but I was sort of looking for that real "you don't have to look for it, it is punching you right in the face" aroma. and the flavor to really grab you by the junk.
so.
should i take action by dry hopping/making a hop tea,
or
will things develope more in the bottle?

Oh and the color was much, much lighter then I expected.

Back