Buying a Wii. Need advice!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha - I used to joke with her about that when she first told me about the competition. She never even saw the movie, which is a bit strange. Great movie, kinda

And oh yeah, she loves the power glove :D I actually do still have it, although that thing never really worked.

Yeah I never remember being able to actually use one when at a friends house that had it.

The PS3 is a bit more expensive but its also full HD compatible, backwards compatable (meaning it plays PS1 and some PS2 games), Blu-Ray, Bluetooth ready, and it is free for online play and you can even buy some of the classic games in the online store for about $5-$10 depending on the title, AND some of the titles, mainly sports, are motion capture with the SYXAXIS controller(which is standard). Theres a bunch more to list but i can't remember all off of the top of my head.

Let me clarify something. The PS3 is NOT necessarily going to be backwards compatible. They never had full compatibility, and eventually dropped it altogether on some of the newer versions.

I love mine, because I can do blueray, and show images with USB, and even play music and movies through the network from the files stored on my PC. They are great systems.

But I also like our Wii. The games are ok, but mostly geared for kids. Kid games are hard to find on the PS3.

My favorite so far is Guitar Hero for Wii. We have the Full Band set up and I enjoy that most of all. The Wii Fit is supposed to be good, but nobody in our house uses it (although both myself and my wife really need to).

Zelda is great RPG action game. The Wii will also deliver news and weather if you like too.

I would suggest getting a second controller at minimum and I nunchuck to go with it. We rarely use the nunchucks, and only have 2 for the 4 controllers we own. The other two just stay in the guitar and drum kit and don't need them.

I've heard the newest Tiger Woods is very nice. I'll probably get to try it in 2 weeks at a friends house upstate. No more smacking a 2" putt into the next county!

Let me clarify something. The PS3 is NOT necessarily going to be backwards compatible. They never had full compatibility, and eventually dropped it altogether on some of the newer versions.

I've only had a problem playing a few of my PS2 titles..... the problems ranged from glitchy graphics to won't read disk to complete system freeze altogether. I have had no problem playin my PS1 disks, though.

I've only had a problem playing a few of my PS2 titles..... the problems ranged from glitchy graphics to won't read disk to complete system freeze altogether. I have had no problem playin my PS1 disks, though.

This may be true, but I tried a couple of them and each one said that this unit is not compatible with older generation games.

Sony: No more backward compatibility for the PS3 : Ben Patterson : Yahoo! Tech

If you own an older version, you should have "some" compatibility, but not from a new purchase.

EDIT: The story does say that PS1 games will work though.

I would really suggest renting games as a means of shopping, many games that are "avialable" for the wii aren't really "wii games" per se, they don't use the wii's cool abilities, you're just holding the remote like an old game system...

I would HIGHLY reccomend gamefly. I have it and love it. It is just like netflix but for games. You can even keep the games for a price (usually less than what it would cost to buy in the store) if you like them and they will ship you game and instruction booklet.

Sorry to hijack but it might help you too, I have a question for you all. I think im going to get tiger woods but should I get it for wii or 360?

Super Smash Bros is cool.

I'll sell my copy for $35 shipped with The Oficial Guide

we didn't care for it, played it mabye 3 times.

I would HIGHLY reccomend gamefly. I have it and love it. It is just like netflix but for games. You can even keep the games for a price (usually less than what it would cost to buy in the store) if you like them and they will ship you game and instruction booklet.
Good point. I like to rent games before I buy them... nothing worse than paying upto $50 for a game, and deciding you HATED it, then sellign it for half :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point. I like to rent games before I buy them... nothing worse than paying upto $50 for a game, and deciding you HATED it, then sellign it for $15 :(

It cost damn near 10 bucks to rent a game from blockbuster anymore so its hardly even worth it.

What ever you do don't rent or buy Mama Cookoff. Worst game ever. First and last time the wife ever picked the game. I took it back within 2 hours. They wouldn't let me exchange it for another one or any part of a refund. I said keep it anyway it's horrible.

It cost damn near 10 bucks to rent a game from blockbuster anymore so its hardly even worth it.

I have a friend that is a console junkie, so i can borrow most games i want... I havn't rented much, the 6 games we have entertain us pretty well.

It is also nice to abuse gamestop's return policy too. If you buy any used game you have 7 days to bring it back and get your full money back no questions asked.

They know exactly whats going on and dont give a damn. Its not like it costs them anything. Its actually pretty brilliant on their part. People will buy a game with the intention of doing that and buy a game they normally wouldn't and end up liking it and keeping it or people just forget to take it back in time and are stuck with it.

I do like to switch up stores though just so they don't know how much I actually do it. There are 5 stores within 15 minutes of me.

They know exactly whats going on and dont give a damn. Its not like it costs them anything. Its actually pretty brilliant on their part. People will buy a game with the intention of doing that and buy a game they normally wouldn't and end up liking it and keeping it or people just forget to take it back in time and are stuck with it.

I do like to switch up stores though just so they don't know how much I actually do it. There are 5 stores within 15 minutes of me.

I have 2 close buy I think. I'll have to try it out.

My soon-to-be 6 year old has been asking for a Wii and I've finally gotten the go-ahead from the wife. :D So I'm looking online this morning at 'em and my head starts spinning from all the accessories, options, etc. Didn't buying a console system used to be simple?

What are the needs and don't-needs? Nunchuck controllers? Docking stations? Good games/bad games?

Thanks! :mug:
My 5 1/2 year old son absolutely loves the Lego Star Wars and Lego Indiana Jones games (his 7 year old sister and 38 year old mom love them too). You might want to check one of those out.

Got a Wii here, love it.

Definitely get at minimum 2 controllers with nunchuks, although 4 would be a better idea. So much fun doing party games with everyone when they're over. Also suggest getting a rechargeable docking station, batteries get expensive!

Some games your kids will like: Super Monkey Ball, WiiPlay/WiiSports/WiiFit, Lego games, Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario (might be a bit advanced at 6 though).

Lastly: Wii homebrew! Check it out. You can watch dvd's, play NES/SNES/any emulated console game, play your 'legal backups,' you name it. Super, super easy nowadays.

Have fun!

Heading over to GameSpot today to see what the kind of scrilla they'll give me for 14 Xbox games (mint) and the original console, plus two controllers.

Wii, here I come!

I am buying a new game for myself...
Tiger Woods 10 with Motion Plus
which includes
Wii MotionPlus Accessory for Nintendo Wii

I LOVED tiger99 on the PS1, but did not like the futer versions that required you to use the analog stick to swing.

Heading over to GameSpot today to see what the kind of scrilla they'll give me for 14 Xbox games (mint) and the original console, plus two controllers.

Wii, here I come!

probably $50 or less...... that is why my XBox is hooked up to the TV in my bedroom, also as a DVD player.

damn i was hoping that CoD4 was on the list... That's my obsession right now. add me on you list r3dn3ckstyl3z is also my gamertag....

360 gt: K9OPS add me, we have a ton of lvl55 10th prestige guys.

Another great game for drinking and playing with friends or even the kids is mario party. Bowling is still my favorite though.

Yeah, not expecting much - and I always have the option to say them to f*ck off and die. :D

I said that in a more polite way..... But as often as it gets used, $50 is better than nothing. I think i played GTA2 once in the last 4 months for 30min. Mabye I will sell it afterall..... I have about 10 games for mine. I might look into selling the games individually on EBAY, or sell the whole thing on craigslist.

Got a Wii here, love it.

Definitely get at minimum 2 controllers with nunchuks, although 4 would be a better idea. So much fun doing party games with everyone when they're over. Also suggest getting a rechargeable docking station, batteries get expensive!

Some games your kids will like: Super Monkey Ball, WiiPlay/WiiSports/WiiFit, Lego games, Mario Kart, Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario (might be a bit advanced at 6 though).

Lastly: Wii homebrew! Check it out. You can watch dvd's, play NES/SNES/any emulated console game, play your 'legal backups,' you name it. Super, super easy nowadays.

Have fun!

Unfortunately, a recent update to the Wii has so far been able to prevent the homebrew from working once again. I suppose a mod chip is possible, but the ability to simply load some data and run homebrew apps from an SD card seems to have been defeat for who knows how long.

I did not do homebrew and recently ran an update. When it came back and showed the change to the SD channel, I was a bit disappointed. I figured it would be some sort of way to block homebrew software. Turns out I was right. I don't know if there is a way to backrev the OS on the Wii. I think that if you were able to install a Homebrew channel before the update runs, you might be ok.

The WII is a TON of fun even with the legit play... DOn't let the update that borked the homebrew stuff stop you.

I said that in a more polite way..... But as often as it gets used, $50 is better than nothing. I think i played GTA2 once in the last 4 months for 30min. Mabye I will sell it afterall..... I have about 10 games for mine. I might look into selling the games individually on EBAY, or sell the whole thing on craigslist.

Yeah, I decided against trying to trade the stuff in and threw the whole kit n' kaboodle up on Craigslist a few minutes ago.

The WII is a TON of fun even with the legit play... DOn't let the update that borked the homebrew stuff stop you.

Oh, yes, no doubt about it!

Just trying to keep updated on the info. And as it turns out, I think 4.0 is the latest, which seems to already have a bypass, so I think it's not blocked now after all.

Now if I can figure out how to download user-created Guitar Hero songs for the Wii...

Rock band/guitar hero is a good choice too.

You may want to look at the song list on those before you let the kid play - we got it for our family and my wife was not happy when she walked in on my 10 year old jamming out to Poison's "Talk Dirty To Me." That's always a personal/family choice thing but thought I'd mention in case it is an issue...

What do you use the Wii homebrew for? I'm reading about it now, and it looks like you can watch dvd's, but what else?

my suggestion is to rent one, or borrow one first if you can, and see if he and you really enjoy it. then fish one off the used online marketplaces, i wouldn't pay full price for the wii after borrowing my little brothers for a month. the kid got bored with it really fast, but she prefers trekking around outdoors till the coyotes come out.

my suggestion is to rent one, or borrow one first if you can, and see if he and you really enjoy it. then fish one off the used online marketplaces, i wouldn't pay full price for the wii after borrowing my little brothers for a month. the kid got bored with it really fast, but she prefers trekking around outdoors till the coyotes come out.

Good timing.

We've been to friend's houses with the Wii and other consoles. My son(10) has a PS2 in his room. SWMBO and I polled the kids(son and five-year-old daugther) today about what things they'd like to buy/do while I'm on vacation. The top answers were play catch(son), which we do EVERY F'ing DAY until his/my arm falls off, and my daughter wants to swim. We have a long winter here as well but the kids just want to be outside, which I push them to do as much as possible. Sorry to preach but six is too young to put in front of a television IMO.

Sorry to preach but six is too young to put in front of a television.
I know both of FB's kids quite well at this point, and they are incredibly active both indoors and out. Hardly poster children for a sedentary lifestyle.

Given the choice, I'd say they'd still be outside at every opportunity.

I know both of FB's kids quite well at this point, and they are incredibly active both indoors and out. Hardly poster children for a sedentary lifestyle.

Given the choice, I'd say they'd still be outside at every opportunity.

Wasn't trying to judge, just sayin'

That's the truth!

I disagree. TV in moderation isn't going to kill a child. Mine get a little here and there (less than most of their friends from what I've seen) and neither of them have a TV/PS2/Xbox/etc in their rooms, nor will they until they move out. But that's a topic for the Debate Forum, of which I have no interest in debating. :cool:

Carry on...

Back