1st gravity reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooba

Reaction score
Just took my 1st gravity reading after 9 days in the primary!! This is my 1st attempt
at homebrewing!! It's an Amber Ale from Midwest. Gravity reading is 1.014!! I definitely drank my sample and it was pretty good but seem watered down. Is this because it's not carbed up yet? I hoping that I didn't add to much top off water. Any comments?

What is the best practice for obtaining fg readings in a primary-only situation?

To reduce oxidation, infection, etc.

Sanitize, obv. But if active fermentation is finished and you open Carboy stopper everyday for a few days to taste/obtain gravity, are you not risking introducing too much oxygen to the beer?

I have my Belgian ale at 2.5 weeks In primary and really want to taste/check grav.

But I have a feeling this might be my first really good homebrew and really don't want to screw it up now.

You can gently take your SG readings with a sanitized turkey baster or wine thief without any greater risk of oxidation. Just don't splash or stir the fermenter while it's open and you're taking the reading.

Latest posts

Back