Slow Start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmuench

Reaction score
I made a 1600 mL starter with White Labs 007. I used a cup of priming sugar instead of DME because thats what I had. Oxygenated the starter put it on a stir plate.

Brewed 15 gal IPA yesterday (48 hours after making the starter), pitched at about 3pm. Oxygenated the wort. I expected to see krausen rockin out of my blowoff tube this am. Nothing. Temp is at 68.

This is my first time using a White Labs product. The only thing I think I may have done wrong on the starter is take the yeast from the fridge into the cooled starter without letting them warm up to room temp slowly.

Should I be worried?:confused:

First 1600ml starter for 15 gallons of IPA is not enough unless you pitched 3 or 4 tubes. Using sugar for a starter will make the yeast lazy and not want to eat maltose, so you have to overcome that effect now. And like you said, you thermally shocked the yeast with a 30 or so degree temp increase. Finally it can take a day for activity to really start showing. But, you do have 3 strikes against healthy yeast so I would be a little worried.

Latest posts

Back