Complete Noob, which hops should I attempt to grow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookdaleBrew

Reaction score
I'm completely new to brewing (unless you count 2 Mr. Beer batches and a 5 gallon extract that is still fermenting) but I feel like I'm already obsessed and can see the obvious benefit in growing my own hops. I'd like to grow something versatile, but also not too temperamental. I live in Charlotte, NC and am particularly fond of APAs and IPAs but also love the occasional robust porter or imperial stout.

I'm thinking of going with cascade and centennial since they seem to be easy to grow and I can obviously use them in a few of my favorite styles, but I was just curious to get the input of the people here since reading this forum has already helped me so much.

Thanks in advance!

Cascade and Centennial sound good. You'll still need to buy some of your hops, but you'll get a lot of use from those two.

I'm a first time brewer as well and went with Cascade and Centennial myself...looking forward to dive into this come Spring!

Chinook should grow well there. If you can find Zeus that would work well also.
I have used both for bittering and dry hopping.
Cascade seems like it can grow anywhere so that's a good one.
Willamette and Galena are nice as well.

Back