using sweaty yeast to an advantage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
Ive read multiple threads about people whos fermentation starts out in the 80's and its too hot and the yeast give bad flavours and all that jazz. But in all of them, everyone just says to let it sit... And in the end, whoever made the beer says that was the best batch yet. All you gotta do is wait. So is the "sweatiness" or off flavours actually benefiting the beer over time? Or would that beer still be the best one yet if they hadnt had a hight temp. in the beginning of fermentation?

EDIT: I have a batch in my primary. It started fermenting at about 76 over night then I noticed in the morning so I got it down to 68 and thats where its been for 5 days... And right about now it smells like a blender full of bananas... Im using Nottingham dry ale. I dont mind the banana but Im just wondering if the banana is common with nottingham, or its because the temp was too high, and I should let it sit / condition / age once I bottle or rack to secondary.

I have never had a batch fermented with Nottingham that was banana-y. I did a batch with S-04 I think, and let the temps get too warm and that was certainly banana bready. 6 months it calmed down. You might need to be patient with that one.

Back