Homebrewing Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer:30

Chief Bottle Washer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think I have a homebrew problem. Here are my symptoms:

I have brewed eight batches of beer since February
I dream about beer and brewing and can't stop thinking, reading, or talking about it
I get a panic attack at the site of an empty carboy.
I have a few hundred pounds of grain occupying my "work bench" in the basement
My freezer is full of hops
There is always a pail in the kitchen with bottles soaking
All I want to do is brew. :cross:

can someone else go to work for me so I can stay home and brew?

Thanks for understanding :)

I am in the same boat. I'm Jonesin' to brew and am going to sell off stuff in my garage to make more room for the gear.
Luck to you:rockin:

Well, I'd like to help you out and work for you so you can brew, but I'm kind of busy right now.......brewing. Nyah, Nyah!:p

As long as you don't have a pain in the lower right side of your gut you're okay. Even then, you're good until your eyes turn yellow and your skin turns green.:tank:

ronjer said:
I am in the same boat. I'm Jonesin' to brew and am going to sell off stuff in my garage to make more room for the gear.
Luck to you:rockin:

I'm with you on this, I'm selling my three project motorcycles that have been taking up space in the garage and using the proceeds to build my brew sculpture.

Poor wife, she thinks she'll be able to park the car in the garage after the bikes are gone. Poor, poor, misguided wife...

You are only a addict when you attend meetings. Wait, I do attend homebrew meetings. Crap.

Yeah but our 12 step program is SOOOOooooooooo much better!! I'm on step 3 right now, going for 4. *smirk*

WormBoy said:
I have brewed eight batches of beer since February
slacker!
WormBoy said:
I dream about beer and brewing and can't stop thinking, reading, or talking about it
I get a panic attack at the site of an empty carboy.
That is a little weird.
WormBoy said:
I have a few hundred pounds of grain occupying my "work bench" in the basement
My freezer is full of hops
Try keeping your grain in rubbermaid containers, stackable and air tight. You'd better get some more hops, they only harvest once a year anyways.
WormBoy said:
There is always a pail in the kitchen with bottles soaking
kegging?
WormBoy said:
All I want to do is brew. :cross:

can someone else go to work for me so I can stay home and brew?

Thanks for understanding:)
Work for you... um, no.

Good to hear I'm not alone in my addiction. Went to the LHS today to get grain for my first AG in 2 weeks. 10 minutes after leaving the store, smacked the Wyeast pack, guess I'm brewing tommorrow:D

I was building up my Wrangler but that has stopped.. now I wish I had put that money into my home brewery.

The kegger is maxed out.
The conditioning cabinet is maxed out.
The freezer is stuffed.
I have makings for two batches.

Today is the Spring Beer Fest (outdoors) & I'm actually happy it's raining. Otherwise, I'd go there instead of staying home & brewing.

Nehoc said:
I'm with you on this, I'm selling my three project motorcycles that have been taking up space in the garage and using the proceeds to build my brew sculpture.

Poor wife, she thinks she'll be able to park the car in the garage after the bikes are gone. Poor, poor, misguided wife...

Um wtf, selling the motorcycles. No! Nothing is worth doing that for.

eviltwinofjoni said:
You don't have a brewing problem unless you start sniffing the primary fermenter airlock.

:mug: Well I was Ok until that one!

Hello...My name is Mike...and I have a problem:D

Pumbaa said:
I got the same problem but I need more friends to help me drink what I brew so I can brew more

You can always send some this way. :D problem solved.

And yes i think i too have a problem all i do at work is think of what brew im going to do next or what I should buy next.

Ryanh1801 said:
You can always send some this way. :D problem solved.

And yes i think i too have a problem all i do at work is think of what brew im going to do next or what I should buy next.
This sounds like me. Time and space constraints mean that I have only brewed 4 batches since I started home brewing at the end of January. However I have the ingredients for the next two batches and I have ideas for several more after that. I've already moved up to AG with a 5 gal cooler and turkey fryer and I used a Party Pig for half of my last batch.
My wish list for equipment for this "simple, inexpensive" hobby grows longer and more expensive every day.
Craig

My wife has been trying desperately to remind me of all the "other" unfinished projects around the house that I should be doing instead of brewing. Instead of brewing!
....It's hard to even imagine that concept. God I love this stuff. But boy I have dropped some dough...

Brewed last night, brewing again tonight. 10 batches under my belt since Feb, too much beer to drink, but stillll brewing.

Bout 150 Euro worth of grains, hops and a cheapo grain crusher in Amsterdam this weekend, I'm moving to the states in 4.5 months, how the hell am I gonna use all of this stuff?

Been sniffing the airlock all morning. mmmmm bananas.

eviltwinofjoni said:
You don't have a brewing problem unless you start sniffing the primary fermenter airlock.

I did that on my first 2 brews... didnt have to on the 3rd one though. Woke up the second day after pitching and the whole house smelt like beer... it was fracking awesome...

MY problem is collecting bottles. I went to my girlfriends aunts house for easter, the first thing i saw was two cases of empty bottles in their garage. I felt kinda werid asking for them and even more when walking out the door with the stack of bottles in my hand i think they think im an alcoholic, oh well i got plenty of bottles!

I had the wiring tech walk into the equipment room yesterday and ask me if I knew about "the Nice logger". I could have sworn he said "the Nice lager" and asked him where they did their brewing. He looked at me like I had 2 heads and started explaining what it was. I stopped him and said Ohhhh Logger I thought you said Lager I've got beer on the brain.

Whatever all you brew-addicts out there do, don't end up like me. I can't give my beer away fast enough. I just love to brew, and short of getting blitzafied every single night (which I come pretty close to ;) ), it just piles up. Since I learned how to brew last July, I've brewed 165 gallons of beer. Right now, I have about 12 cases of 12oz bottles of HB, and 10 or 11 cases of large-format bottles. Not to mention seven (yes, seven) 5gal carboys in various stages right now.

All I can say is, I'm gonna have LOTS of cookouts at my place this summer. Otherwise...what the hell is gonna happen to all this brew? My wife and I can't drink it all alone. I've been sending sixers to all my friends, giving away as much as I can. And yet I keep brewing. Hell, I just bought 80 lbs of grain and a Barley Crusher last week. This is certainly an addiction, folks.

Evan, I'm so close to being at that stage. Our spare bedroom has 5 cases of pint sized bottles underneath, I have 2 fermenters with 5 gals in right now and brewing again tonight. WTF?!?! I love this hobby.

Yeah, it's dangerous---but I look at it this way: I no longer spend money on commercial brew, unless it's crazy good stuff that I can't recreate (like I bought a bottle of the Stone Russian Imperial Stout last night).

Hey, by the way, who is the guy with the coke-bottle glasses that looks like Milton from office space, and is on about 3 different avatars here?

eviltwinofjoni said:

I did that with my first batch...

And every subsequent one. =)

-D

WormBoy said:
I have a few hundred pounds of grain occupying my "work bench" in the basement.

Damn, that reminds me. I still have 100kg of malt in the back of the car. Hit Gambrinus today for 4 bags of malt. Well, at least the car is mouse free and I doubt anyone will steal it. haha

eviltwinofjoni said:

That's the sign of a true professional.. (my story and I'm sticking to it)

As far as bubbles and the TPB's.. I'm brewing a heffe called "Bubbles" this week. Using wyeast 3638. Should be nice and banana/clove like. I find the North American "hefeweizen's" too be to lacking in hefe flavors.

I keep the heat or A/C on hold at 68 depending on weather outside whenever I have a batch in the fermenter no matter what. All other times the heating/cooling system runs on a program.

If my wife gets cold I tell her to put a sweatshirt on rather than turn the heat up...I've tried to reason by saying the fermenter doesn't have the capacity to dress up or dress down. I may be building a fermentation chamber someday..

Back