Please recommend a cold-tolerant yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAC762

Reaction score
Hi. New poster here, but I've been lurking for a while. I recently got back into wine making after a long hiatus and have been venturing off into cider territory as of late. I have done a couple of batches of cider so far. To date, I've only used cote de blanc yeast for my cider, which has worked well. I'd like to try different yeasts, but I'm concerned about fermentation temps. My "brewing" area is usally around 55-60 degrees F, but could dip a little lower on occasion. I was thinking of trying EdWort's recipe, but google says Montrachet is a 60 degree minimum yeast. Can anyone recommend some strains of yeast that work well for cider in colder temps?

Thanks,
PAC

I'll agree with the Saflager 23 also. However I find you really have to let this age. i'll take a sample and it will be terrible, two weeks later it is great. Next thing I know it taste like crap. Frustrating........I just hope it ends up on the right note!

Thanks guys. The LHBS was out of S23, but I got some EC-1118. Will I need a blow-off tube for the EC-1118?

Back