Degassing a Wine Kit Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babybrewer

Reaction score
Hello all!! I have made a few wine kits and always followed the instructions concerning degassing (which is 2 minutes max, 1 time) and haven't had this much of a problem before. I have been degassing for 3 days now with the fizz-x (i think that's what it's called lol) i do it every hour for a few minutes and getting a ton of bubbles. I took a sample and it's like champagne.

How long is a normal time to degas? Will I ever be done :confused:

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day :mug: Cheers

My floating thermometer is broken, but it's in my kitchen, which is 72 degrees. I'm not sure how I can get it any warmer.

That sounds strange- to be over 70 degrees and still not degassed. I assume the fermentation is finished, and has been finished for a couple of weeks?

Oh yes, it was finished the secondary fermentation on april 19 with a SG of 1.000 (exactly what the kit predicted), but I didn't get to degassing until May 3. The SG is .992 right now.

Oh yes, it was finished the secondary fermentation on april 19 with a SG of 1.000 (exactly what the kit predicted), but I didn't get to degassing until May 3. The SG is .992 right now.

Not to be a PITA, but if it was 1.000 on April 19, but at .992 today, it was still fermenting! That's a fairly substantial drop. If it's still fermenting, you just can't degas it enough because it's still producing co2.

Wait three days, check the SG again, and if it's still .992, you can proceed with degassing.

That totally makes sense, but in my defense, I have always followed the same instructions with great results and didn't know until coming here that I could sway from the "rules" of the kit. So I haven't wrecked it??? Thank you so much for your wisdom!

That totally makes sense, but in my defense, I have always followed the same instructions with great results and didn't know until coming here that I could sway from the "rules" of the kit. So I haven't wrecked it??? Thank you so much for your wisdom!

Heck no, it's not wrecked. Put the airlock on, and let it sit as warm as possible for the next three/four days. Then, check the SG again. If it's still .992, you can attempt degassing again. do you have a mity vac? One of those things to bleed brakes? That works very well, and is faster and easier than the stirring method!

your could always put it in the bath tub and fill the tub with some warm water to warm it up if need be. I did this in the winter time. Kind of like the opposite of cooling the wort down??

Latest posts

Back