Alternative Grain Beer Red Ryeding Hood Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrotherBock

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale
Yeast Starter
yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
44 - Tinseth
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Malty and spicy with a strong centennial/mt.hood hop aroma and balancing bitterness
6.5 lb Maris Otter 65.3%
2 lb Rye 20.1%
0.5 lb Crystal 60L 5%
0.5 lb CaraRed 5%
0.2 lb Roasted Barley 2%
0.25 lb Rice hulls 2.5%
9.95 lb Total

Hops
10 g Warrior 60 min 16%
1 oz Mount Hood 15 min 7.5%
2.5 oz Centennial 2 min 8%
1 oz Mount Hood 2 min 7.5%
2 oz Mount Hood 7 days 7.5%

This is an all grain version of a partial mash recipe I had done and is my second attempt at the style. I accidentally added the 1oz of Hood in @ 25 minutes instead of 15 (I misread the timer). So I ended up taking some Mt.Hood from the late hop additions and adding at 15 min ( I think it was .5 oz total). I tried to compensate and maintain the IBU level. I think it ended up going up just a little bit, like 3-4 IBUs. Regardless it turned out real nice. The partial mash was done with 2-row instead of Maris Otter with the same hop additions and it was also very nice. So I'd recommend sticking to the listed hop schedule, but if you screw up like I did it still works out.

The centennial works well with the spiciness of the rye and is very present in the nose. The bitterness is sharp, but not overpowering. If you let the beer stand for a little while once its out of the fridge the bitterness and maltiness are more complimentary.

Sounds like a great beer. I'm just getting started in brewing and have done two extract kits. Not ready for the all grain batches tho. Do you know of a extract version of this?

If you want to do an extract version, I believe Northern Brewer sells liquid rye extract and maris otter extract. So you can take the all grain weights and multiply by .75 to get a proper conversion of grain to LME.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-ingredients/malt-extract

I would do 5 lbs of maris otter LME and 1.6 lbs of rye LME to keep percentages and OG similar between the two recipes. Then keep everything else the same but remove the rice hulls. They're only there to prevent a stuck sparge, which isn't really much of an issue with only 20% rye anyway. If you leave them in there you just waste space, money, and wort.

Overall percentages will slightly change. But you can play with the weights a little in any recipe calculator. The idea would be to keep the percentages between the two recipes generally the same. I also imagine the roasted barley will be less helpful with an extract version, as it is there for color correction. Again, you can just put this in a recipe calculator and dial in the SRM, grain percentages etc, if you're concerned about precision.

Steep the grains for probably 20-30 minutes. Bring to boil. Take off burner. Add extract. Place back on burner and boil for 1 hour.

I've never used maris otter or rye extract. But the rye grain has such a great character, I'd reccommend doing a partial mash so you can get the rye goodness. It's a million times easier than you think. Its essentially doing a grain steep for 60 minutes instead of 20-30. You can just put some maris otter and rye with the specialty grains in a large bag and do it all on the stove (if your kettle is big enough).

Latest posts

Back