55 gallon stainless barrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be sure to get a drum that is either 1 piece or at least has the bottom (tig) welded on. It doesn't take long for a bottom that is rolled on to leak. Repeated firings will expand/contract the metal well past its intended design. I have a friend who brews with rolled drums and they all leak. He continues to use one as a fermentor and after a few weeks his garage is a mess.

You probably want something like this, there are a number of folks who sell these, here is the first one that popped on google for me:
http://usedstainlesssteelbarrels.com/Page_1.html

I know people that have welded the rolled bottoms on to prevent leakage and they have had no problems. If you don't weld them they will leak over time.

Drum bottoms come in several styles:

double crimped
double crimped and welded
Triple crimped

The open head drums we have are all double crimped and welded or triple crimped.

If you prefer one style over another just let me know I'm sure we can take care of you.

In the drum industry the two styles have the same testing requirements and are considered interchangeable. I've been using a triple crimped drum for years with hundreds of hours over a burner with no problems.

Carl

Latest posts

Back