How long do you brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karmalife

Reaction score
I've been brewing Kombucha since the summer but am wondering what the average length of time is for brewing? I started with 10 days then realized that it was too sweet. My last batch worked out well at 4 weeks but I'm afraid I've let my recent batch go past that- I believe it's at about 8 weeks now. It tastes really flat. Should I ditch it? How long do you usually brew for? I searched the threads but couldn't find this answer. Thanks!

I only make by four cup batches and find that five days with scoby intact is my preferance, and then I add my flavor building and it parks for another 1-4 days on counter, then I transfer to bottles and tightly cap or just tighten the lid on counter container and refrigerate. My drinks are nicely carbonated.

I do believe the volume of your ferment will be indicative of number of ferment days, along with temperature. Taste can be impacted by type of tea used.

Just removed the scoby from a four cup batch which used a tea made from 2 restaurant size jasmine green teabags and two orange pekoe, 2 tbsp sugar per cup of...68f on counter...delicious as is but I can never resist adding fruit or juice, etc.

It depends on a lot on the temperature it is in, how much sugar you use, and even the surface area of the vessel. Typically 8-14 days is what people use I think; if you bottle it air tight with very little air it will continue to get more sour but not necessarily 'vinegary'. So normally once you get it where you like it you want to bottle it say in swing tops and then keep it cool to keep it from fermenting much further before consumption.

Back