1st Lambic: Compare Wy 3278 and WLP 653

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harvestsmiles

Reaction score
I am going to do a Kriek.
10 Gallon Batch
Turbid Mash

13# 6-Row
8# Wheat
2# Belgium Pilsner

1oz Kent Goldings (Aged ~3-4 years) Added at First Wort

I will be fermenting in 2 separate plastic buckets> I think I will use the Wy-3278 in one and the WLP-653 in the other. This way I can compare them.

Has anyone else tried this, if so what were the results... I know using dregs is suggested which makes this experiment a little harder...Any suggestions on that? like splitting the dreg between both fermenters. (this will help ensure both fermenters are getting the same bugs) or leave them out altogether this time to maintain the control...

Going to let primary go for 6 months, then add 5# cherries to each fermenter.
This is when I would add the dregs. Then let it sit in secondary 3-5 months longer.

I would like to bottle this up and curious about bottling procedures, I have read adding corn sugar and a "small" amount of wine yeast but didn't see any measurements...Any suggestions on amounts to have a properly carbonated Kriek? (sugar/yeast per 5 gallons)

Any suggestions to recipe/procedure above will be appreciated.

:fro:

3278 will give you sour and funk, 653 is just going to give you funk.

Wine yeast will help carbonate, so I do recommend that step. There's not a good calculator out there for priming sours so what I do is take a good guess at the highest temperature the beer could have reached, put that into a priming sugar calculator and then add one to the volume desired volume. So if you want that really effervescent gueuze-like character at 4-5 vol. then prime for 5-6. Works well so far.

Back