Vessels shapes for starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACbrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any research that says a starter vessel should be one shape (flask) over another (bottle, bucket, etc)

Yeah I admit it, I'm trying to buy another peice of equipment and just reuse stuff I have, like a 2 quart pitcher for making ice tea.

If it will spin the stir bar then it will work. The bottom needs to be flat to work best but I've used rounded bottoms too. They just require more work to get the thing spinning. Go to dollar tree. 99 cents store or whatever and I bet you'll find something there that works.

BTW, if you aren't using a stir plate then a 1 or 2 liter coke bottle works great. Just leave it half opened.

Shape doesn't really matter. Most people use the pyrex flasks so they can heat the starter on the stove and cool it without having to transfer. As long as your sanitation is good any vessel that will hold the amount of starter you want to make should be fine. If the pitcher is plastic just make sure there is no scratches where bacteria can hide also make sure you have some room for krausen to form.

I use a 750ml beer bottle. No I can't see the starter through it, and I don't make huge starters, but its convenient.

I uses a 3l wine jug for the last starter. I was just currious about the shape thing. I mean I know Whitelabs did growth tests with stirplates and shaking and just a ferment to see what the results were (stirplates were like 3x the growth of just letting the starter sit) >shrugg< I may still use the 3l wine jug - if it fits on my stir plate. That will let me do up to about 2.5l starter.

Latest posts

Back