Keg conditioning a hefe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DankHead

Reaction score
When you keg your hefe's do you like to force carb and drink it as fresh as possible or let it do it's 2 week condition?

What psi do you use? All the charts I've read have it set at like 30 psi to set it and forget it....

Cheers!

I don't like to keg the Hefe, I think the flavor is a little better in the bottle and it loses that a lot quicker in the keg for some reason. Definitely drink them young though to get the best out of 'em.

When I keg beers like Wits and Hefe's, I carb them at 33psi for 3days and they are good to go no shaking needed

I make alot of Hefe's and keg them. As a rule, I do 10 day in the fermenter, put them on the keg at 15-16psi at 40F (2.75-2.85 atmospheres) for 14 days, then start drinking.

Random tip: to avoid a crystal-weizen, I was told to store my hefe's upside down. Kind of hard with corny kegs, but try keeping the yeast in suspension.

Random tip: to avoid a crystal-weizen, I was told to store my hefe's upside down. Kind of hard with corny kegs, but try keeping the yeast in suspension.

Yeah sometimes commercial hefe kegs will come with instructions to store upside down so that when they're flipped over to kook them up, the yeast is put back in suspension. A simple shake will do the job too though...

It's not exactly a hefe but when I make my blue moon clone it seems to be at it's best after a week or 2 in the keg and i set it at 30psi for 36 hours and then down to about 12 or so to finish carbonating

Back