Holy Furious Fermentation Batman!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamPag

Reaction score
So I brewed up a belgium pale thursday, which being my 5th brew in 8 weeks Ive noticed Im really hitting a stride in the the whole process, its getting really easy and more hands off. Pitched S-33 at 11:45pm, lag time of < 6hrs, at 8am it was bubbling away.... well.... by 12:30pm when I went to peak at it again to check the temperatures, There was a god damn krausen sculpture erupting out of the air lock!! I laughed. and then I cleaned up, pulled the airlock, and luckily my siphon tube fit right into the carboy stopped and I just ran it as if it was a blowoff.

Now, is this violent fermentation a result of something I did better than normal? at 20 hours in fermentation, its seriously going wild in there, incredibly turbulent.
I probably dont have to be concerned about contamination considering the CO2 escaping would have protected the wort, but should I not use the siphon tube for racking anymore now that ive used it for a blowoff?

The vigor of fermentation and the blowoff depend on so many factors it's hard to tell. Some strains ferment more quickly and vigorously. Sometimes that happens just because your yeast are healthier at pitch. Also, higher gravity brews are more likely to blow off, as are brews fermented at higher temps. It's too complicated to predict, so I just use a blowoff tube until I see the krausen start to recede. As for the tube, you will have to evaluate that. I generally consider my blowoff tubing to be less sanitary than my siphon tubing becuase it gets grungy and even a hot PBW bath doesn't always get it fully clean inside. That said, if you're only using it for a day or two and soak it right away, you might be fine. Tubing is cheap and therefore so is peace of mind.

Im probably just gonna get another tube, Id like my siphon tube to be like another foot longer, when its on the auto-siphon the lifting action to start the siphon has pulled the tube out of the bucket and spilled beer all over the floor twice already, what a waste!

I soak my tubing in room temp PBW for as much as 5 days. Then rinse & pour starsan through them with a funnel & a jug to catch the starsan as it comes out. Nice & clean.

Man the last time I had a fermentation like that I didn't catch it soon enough and the stopper blew out of the carboy. I ended up losing 1.5 gallons easy but it turned out to be an amazing brew. Hope yours turns out well too!

AdamPag said:
Im probably just gonna get another tube, Id like my siphon tube to be like another foot longer, when its on the auto-siphon the lifting action to start the siphon has pulled the tube out of the bucket and spilled beer all over the floor twice already, what a waste!

Good. I'm not the only one who had that happen. I gave up on the auto siphon, went back to racking cane.

My belgian pale and honey brown went nuts too. I think anything with simple sugars, wheat, high OG, tends to do that. My WY 1272 does it twice. Once with thick krausen, then a few days later it turns to yeasty bubble gum clouds.

Back