How Much Is 1 oz?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
How much is one ounce of corn sugar? I have four gallons of beer. I want to keg three and bottle one.

I plan on siphoning the three into the keg and "unnatural" carb it with CO2.

The other gallon I want to put into a bottling bucket with the sugar water and transfer to bottles.

I'm not sure I have a scale that will accurately measure 1 oz.. It is one oz per gallon for ale.. right??

So, does that equate to a tablespoon or ?? How much??

Grat's

Bill

Im assuming he doesn't have a scale that does low weights.....
3/4 to 1cup is about 5oz. U have measuring cups right? Use a online priming calc and figure in your beer temp and vol. Of co2 you want according to your style.

Per Palmer, 3/4 cup of corn sugar (6 fl ozs) = 4 ozs weight.

So 1 ozs = 1.5 fl ozs.

1 fl-oz = 45 ml

1 tablespoon (the one you eat with, not the serving sized spoon) holds 15 ml, so 1.5 fl-ozs is roughly 4.5 level tablespoons.

I hope something in this helps you.

I would figure at least 1/2 tsp per bottle.I used between 1/2-3/4 tsp per bottle dry before.More on the 3/4 tsp side of cornsugar. I would say 1 oz would be max for one gallon though and i would use less than that. I use 1.0-1.5 oz cane sugar. for my 15-16 bottle batches. 1.5 is too much cane sugar im finding.So i go 1.2 oz or so. I have a cheapie scale so i find it reads low somewhat inacuratley.I actually have to pull it off the scale a few times and get an average reading.
You dont have an oz pyrex measuring cup?

I did a bit of research since the post.. I should have done it prior to.. grrr.

N. British Brown Ale according to TastyBrew says I should use 0.6 oz of corn sugar.

Another brewing site I found says that there are 2 level tablespoons of dextrose per Oz.

So, if I go with the 0.6 oz / gallon for that brew, I'm looking at roughly one heaping Tablespoon for the gallon. Sure doesn't seem like much..

I would go more .75. That .6 is 3 oz per 5 gallon batch. Which i wouldnt even carb a bitter that low.

Or measure out 1/2 tsp per bottle and see what you get.Which would be close to 2 tblsp. 1.5 tblsp. at least sounds good to me.

Back