Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^ very nice! Just brewwed this for the first time. Had 2 stuck sparges, melted the sight tube on my kettle, burned my hands twice, missed my strike temp., so frustrated by the end of the night didn't even check my numbers... hope it comes out alright and planning a redo this weekend :).

OCBrewin said:
Here's my latest. 3rd time brewing this. 6# 2 row, 2# corn, 2# rice. Magnum to bitter. After 3 weeks in keg taste 100% better than after 1st week. Nevrr had a beer mellow so much, so fast. What was an ok beer turned into one I am really proud of and will continue to brew as is.

Yup... This one has something magical happen around the 3-4 week mark. Like turning on a light; one day its a disappointment, the next day it's a totally different story.

I'm a bit perplexed... Im currently at two weeks in primary. I took a reading last Monday and it was .007. Took one today and its .006 so I think fermentation is done; however, there's still a thin layer of yeast on top. Did a diacetyl test by heating to 150 degrees and I get buttery corn. Not sure if I should plan on bottling this weekend or waiting until next (would give it 4 weeks in primary). Any thoughts??

If you're still dropping points then fermentation is still happening. That being said, .006 is really low if it keeps dropping I would suspect an infection. I would give it a couple more days and test the gravity again. If the reading is stable you can cold crash it in a fridge if you have the capability, transfer to secondary, or just let it sit another week or two (or more) until the yeast drops out to the point your happy with the clarity.

^^^ very nice! Just brewwed this for the first time. Had 2 stuck sparges, melted the sight tube on my kettle, burned my hands twice, missed my strike temp., so frustrated by the end of the night didn't even check my numbers... hope it comes out alright and planning a redo this weekend :).
That happened to me B4. Sucks. The reward is coming :)

missed strike temp probably will not matter . Just bandage up them hands and put some double sided tape on the bandage so you can grip your beer bottle .

I just opened one of these . Had 4 left . they are in bottle for probably 3 months I would guess . Maybe more . It was very good . Has a slight kind of citrus taste now .

EDIT: I have not had one stuck sparge ever since I started wraping my false bottom with a nylon paint strainer

I brewed my second Cream Ale two days ago.

5.5 # pale 2 row
One box instant grits
A container of leftover white rice from take out
A packet of deluxe rice with brown rice, wild rice and quinoa.

Williamette and Mt. Hood hops. 90 minute boil.

I used the Belgian trappist yeast and it's bubbling like crazy, with a delicious banana aroma.

I brewed my second Cream Ale two days ago.

5.5 # pale 2 row
One box instant grits
A container of leftover white rice from take out
A packet of deluxe rice with brown rice, wild rice and quinoa.

Williamette and Mt. Hood hops. 90 minute boil.

I used the Belgian trappist yeast and it's bubbling like crazy, with a delicious banana aroma.

very interesting . I would like to know if the brown and wild rice leave a flavor in the beer as I think they might . Both are very tasty rice . Please let us know when it is done

I just tried a bottle of my hopped up cream of three crops . 1 month in bottle and it is not too bad . Would have liked more hops I think . I really liked the Crystal Cream version I made.

Brewed this a couple of times however my last turned out cloudier than normal.

Just kegged mine over the weekend, and it is very cloudy too. Hit OG on brew day. I let it sit in primary for14 days (68F in swamp cooler), and FG was down to only 1.020. I racked off yeast before checking it. Oops. Doesn't taste too good right now. Slightly astringent. Suppose I'll let it sit for a while. Hope it's drinkable.

sure sounds like something went wrong . I would think that with a high gravity it would be sweet tasting . maybe you got some kind of infection. I am sure someone around here has the answer to the question .

About to keg mine after 14 days after fermenting around 67-68º and it looks cloudy almost "murky" if you will. Plan on keg conditioning for about 2 weeks. Maybe cold crashing will help clarify. Also I've got some polyclar will try that as well

About to keg mine after 14 days after fermenting around 67-68º and it looks cloudy almost "murky" if you will. Plan on keg conditioning for about 2 weeks. Maybe cold crashing will help clarify. Also I've got some polyclar will try that as well

Mix a tablespoon of unflavored gelatin into a sauce pan that has a cup of cool water. Heat it up on the stove until the gelatin has dissolved and gone clear. DO NOT BOIL! Add this liquid to the bottom of your keg before racking the beer. Guaranteed crystal clear beer in 10 days.

My first Cream Ale was brewed July 4. I probably brewed with California yeast. It was initially terrible and I mixed it with fruit juice to make Shandys. However in early September it got good, and now it is incredibly delicious. My second cream Ale is just 11 days old and is still in primary. I'm using Belgian Trappist yeast and think it'll be awesome.

Mix a tablespoon of unflavored gelatin into a sauce pan that has a cup of cool water. Heat it up on the stove until the gelatin has dissolved and gone clear. DO NOT BOIL! Add this liquid to the bottom of your keg before racking the beer. Guaranteed crystal clear beer in 10 days.

Does it matter if you put the keg in the fridge temperature being back doen so low or should I let the keg sit at room temp

Thanks sippin. Hopefully this catastrophe will turn out even with all the mishaps

Just put in the keg with gelatin, temp got up to 170F, but I did notice when I transferred it to the keg there was some undisolved layer at the bottom of the pan. Have not used gelatin before is that normal?

Probably normal. I honestly just put a packet of the Knox into about a cup of water and throw in the microwave for a little over a minute. Then straight into the keg as it is filling with cold wort from the carboy. Been working fine for me.

Couldn't wait any longer to sample this.. I know it still needs a while to mature, but it was quite refreshing and easily chuggable. Needs a little longer to mellow out but with all the mishaps along the way I am quite pleased, thanx for the recipe and all the help along the way from various brewers!

:CHEERS:

Giving this a go today for 19L BIAB.

3kg - Golden Promise
1kg - Flaked Corn
0.5kg - Minute Rice

20g Cascade @ 60min
20g Citra at flameout

Mangrove Jacks M07 yeast.

Is flaked maize the same as flaked corn? My lhbs does not have n e flaked corn only maize left. And yes I know maize is corn however is it pre gelled?

hmmmm. Sounds like a marketing scam to me . change the name to a more hip trendy one and charge more . It is all just field corn or should be I think . Sweet corn does not have the right stuff . Sweet corn has twice the sugar as field corn and it is actually a mutation . field corn is the original and is what is used for making ethanol .
Only 1% of the corn grown in the USA is sweet corn .

< deleted double post > do not how I managed that one .

but any way if you use a lot of corn maybe you should buy it at the feed and seed store and then buy a mill that will grind it and make your own .

hmmmm. Sounds like a marketing scam to me .

Maybe--kinda pretentious anyway-- but it's probably got some basis in British brewing tradition. "Corn" meant "wheat" (or any grain, I think) everywhere but the US not 150 years ago.

Glad to know field corn is what we want, I suspected sweet but I don't know where you even find dried sweet.

Going to brew up a 10 gallon batch of this on Sunday. In fact, it will be my first ever 10 gallon batch :rockin: Hopefully my turkey fryer burner is up to the challenge!

I used instant grits instead of corn maze in my last batch. Still fermenting 3 weeks later. Should be ready to keg this weekend. Will see what the difference is between grits and corn maze.

Just added it in the mash just like using corn maze. The same concept. I ended up adding 3 lbs only because I wasnt paying attention. Next time ill use 1.8 lbs because that is equal to one can of instant grits sold in the store. I used a generic brand (cheaper).

Thanks Marcus, Edmanstor, and Shadow for the good information. I did buy instant grits but was not sure how to use so i made a run to the LHBS and picked up the maize. Thats why i was asking the difference in price of the maize vs. corn. So i will keep the grits for next time!!

I did one batch few months ago it came out dark and very hoppy but turned out great. Trying to get this down in color and less hoppy to get closer to the target recipe. Very good drinking beer!!! Thanks for the recipe!!!!!

Thanks Marcus, Edmanstor, and Shadow for the good information. I did buy instant grits but was not sure how to use so i made a run to the LHBS and picked up the maize. Thats why i was asking the difference in price of the maize vs. corn. So i will keep the grits for next time!!

As long as your grits are instant your good! I've even thought of using potatoes instead of rice on this one but that's another adventure! :)

Maybe--kinda pretentious anyway-- but it's probably got some basis in British brewing tradition. "Corn" meant "wheat" (or any grain, I think) everywhere but the US not 150 years ago.

Glad to know field corn is what we want, I suspected sweet but I don't know where you even find dried sweet.

I doubt sweet gets dried . not enough of that stuff gets grown . Just for eating . I suppose it is possible that somewhere someone dries it and makes meal for some sweet treat in a specialty place .

Back