Ommegang Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gorms

Reaction score
I harvested the trub from a couple of Hennepins and stepped it up to a 1 gallon starter. I pitched it on a Hennepin clone (1.07) og. This stuff started fermenting after three hours, at least there was major airlock activity. I started fermenting at 66 degrees, after three days it seemed to be slowing down so I slowly raised the temperate to 76. This was 13 days ago and there is still bubbles coming from the airlock, not a lot but maybe 2 per minute. I know bubbles do not necessarily mean that it's still fermenting but does anyone else have any experience with this yeast?
I'm going to give it 3 weeks before I check the gravity. I was worried about the yeast being viable at all, which now seems to be unfounded. I've never had anything bubble for over two weeks.
T

Thanks in advance Gorms.

The rumor is that Ommegang yeast is a wit yeast, and that they use the same one for all their beers. I personally have tried to harvest from the bottle (once), but the starter got an infection, so I haven't used it.

Nothing sounds at all unusual from your description. The test of finished fermentation is constant gravity, not bubbling. I would just take a sample now, rather than agonize. 13 days is a totally normal length of time. So, doesn't sound weird, and there is almost no chance that you didn't get viable yeast (though, footnote, you might have gotten some other stuff too, if your sanitation was less than perfect!).

motorneuron said:
The rumor is that Ommegang yeast is a wit yeast, and that they use the same one for all their beers. I personally have tried to harvest from the bottle (once), but the starter got an infection, so I haven't used it.

Nothing sounds at all unusual from your description. The test of finished fermentation is constant gravity, not bubbling. I would just take a sample now, rather than agonize. 13 days is a totally normal length of time. So, doesn't sound weird, and there is almost no chance that you didn't get viable yeast (though, footnote, you might have gotten some other stuff too, if your sanitation was less than perfect!).

Thanks motor I couldn't wait so I did check it. It's done, at least I hope it's done. It is down to 1.005, a little lower than the recipe calls for. I took the recipe from BYO's 250 classic clones. I read they had their own stain of house yeast, it's my wife's favorite beer so I wanted to make it as close to Hennepin as possible. The hydrometer sample tasted great. I'm going to keg it and let it for a month, it should be good for Labor Day weekend.

1.005 is impressive! Was there sugar in the recipe? Anyway, glad it tastes great. You may have inspired me to try harvesting again.

motorneuron said:
1.005 is impressive! Was there sugar in the recipe? Anyway, glad it tastes great. You may have inspired me to try harvesting again.

Yeah there was 2 lbs. of light candi sugar in it at the end of the boil. I cant wait.

Latest posts

Back